rgb leaping arches controller confusion

sunstream

New elf
I am building four leaping arches. 3.2 metres of 1" LDPE tube with LED strip 12V WS2811 chips.
Easy so far.
I am running LOR S3 advanced so have a DMX output. Feeding this DMX to one of Rays DMX512 Decoders.
Testing time:
one arch
When the DMX is not connected Rays box runs internal sequences and lights "dance".

When I connect the DMX input to rays box and run a test sequence Nothing happens No lights at all.

Sequence has 30 channels DMX universe 1 channels 1 - 30.

Is it an address thing or have I got the wrong controller. I want to do my own sequences but even if I can trigger a preset sequence when I need it that would be great.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Need info on the specific controller, maybe the usb-dmx (or e1.31 to dmx) and possibly screenshots of your lor network configuration. I personally would close down lor completely and use da_dmx to send data to the controller to take lor out of the equation for a start.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If it's a lor dongle then you have to make doubly sure that you are using the correct pins for the dmx as they are different to the ESTA standard. http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/DMX_Adapter_Leads#RJ45_.26_XLR_Pin_Chart For a LOR dongle you'll be using pins 4+5 with gnd on 6 whereas the ESTA standard pinout is 1+2 with 7 being the gnd connection.
Google knows where to find da_dmx. It's at http://www.da-share.com/software/da_dmx/ . You need to make sure LOR control panel isn't running and the usb dongle should be detected and you just hit the "open" button to get da_dmx talking to the dongle.

sunstream

New elf
have tried da_DMX using with both the LOR pin-out of 45 & 6 and the ESTA pim-out 1, 2 and 7. Does not affect the controller which still runs internal sequences.

I guess this indicates either there is no DMX output from dongle although it has worked with other dumb node controllers.

I am wondering if it is an addressing issue but do not know how to set pixel addresses or change controller address.

sunstream

New elf
Heath,
The LDPE tube came from my local ENZED store. I believe there is one in Adelaide. It was sold as "air seeder tubing" so if ENZED do not have it try a rural store who sells/repairs seeders and other agricultural equipment or perhaps an Elders store or Landmark might be able to point you in the right direction.

ecbailey

Full time elf
Have you enabled LOR to actually output to the lights?

Your probably best setting up your USB adapter and arch in Xlights to check everything is talking as you can easily get decent output happening for RGB lights with it. There is also a comprehensive manual on the Xlights website (Google 'Xlights download') that should help you get going.

Keep in mind a 30 channel sequence is only going to do anything with 10 pixels (3 channels per pixel). Your strip probably has 50 or more. Where did you get the sequence from? I'm guessing it was probably designed for fairy lights type arches (amongst other features) that are split into a few sections rather than a heap of individual pixels.