Best connection for me

Charger

Apprentice elf
I have been trying to solve an issue in the Vixen forum regarding my lights not being in sync with the sequence. Initially I though it may have been a software issue or the processing speed of my computer.

Some helpful advice from i13, suggested that I may have some better luck if I changed my method of connection.

At the moment I have an Open USB Dongle from AAH and while there are no issues with the connection, the lights are not as tight with the sequence as I was hoping. Am thinking that my old computer is not a good match for it.

Can anyone advise if I would likely see more reliable results from a DMX Pro dongle or and E1.31 to DMX bridge?

Any advice would be appreciated.

i13

Dedicated elf
Just as a reference for anyone trying to help here, this is the thread explaining the problem http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,7985.0.html

The problem will either be caused by your computer, the USB dongle or a combination of the two. Bad firmware on your controller is possible but I wouldn't think that's as likely. A Raspberry Pi or a BeagleBone could replace your computer or an E1.31 to DMX bridge could replace your USB dongle.

smartalec and AussiePhil know more about the USB dongle issues than me. Neither of them have been posting much on the forums recently but you can quite easily catch smartalec in the chat.

A Raspberry Pi will play vixen sequences without your sequencing computer being connected. I think it works with USB dongles but not sure. The choice of a BeagleBone or a Raspberry Pi is up to you because they have different features and can do different things. I believe you need a USB sound card for a BeagleBone so the Rasspberry Pi might be simpler if you want to keep your DMX dongle.

I've only had your same issue once and that was with a computer that had a single 1.8GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and Vixen 2. Closing the sequence and starting again fixed the issue. Other times my DMX line would stop refreshing fast enough, causing the AAHmega60 to presume the show had ended and turn everything off, resulting in the display flashing on and off every few seconds even though the AAHmega60 was working. Meanwhile the E1.31 line continued to work correctly. I did not have the E1.31 connected at the time that I had your specific problem so I'm not sure how it would have behaved; nor did I have the preview running.

The USB dongle worked for me the majority of the time and I think the slow computer might have had something to do with it too.

My suggestion would be to ask whether there is anyone nearby who has an E1.31 to DMX bridge and/or a Raspberry Pi that you could test with.

Charger

Apprentice elf
Thanks again i13.

If anybody on here lives on the northside of Brisbane and has a E1.31 to DMX bridge that I could possibly test my setup with, to see if there is any improvement - I would be most appreciative.

Obviously I will be happy to drive out and bring my gear, so the bridge won't even leave your sight (5 minute test is all I will need).

If you are able to help or can offer some further advice that would be great.

Thanks - Craig

cscool36

Full time elf
Hi Charger,
How many channels are you running.
I have used usb dongles with old laptops to run my shows before with no problems using vixen 2.1. About 6 universes. I have now updated to raspberry Pi.
I also have a e1.31 to DMX for sale that I can send up to you for some testing if you like or a usb dongle.
What controllers are you using?.
Thanks
Colin

Charger

Apprentice elf
Hey Colin. Just the one controller - a DMX36. I notice the issue even when I run the one channel off it - something is obviously not right. I saw your e1. 31 to dmx for sale. Would definitely be interested in buying it if I knew that would solve my issues.

Charger

Apprentice elf
Thanks i13. Have now been in touch with both Brad and Colin. On my way to solving this problem hopefully. Will report back when I have more.