Sydney/NSW 2016 Sydney Mini June 4-5: Register Now!!!!

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Re: Sydney Mini 2016

in past years we have tried doing live video. it really does not work with how we do things a we are all over the place.

what we do now is video it all and post videos later.

this is something we are also working on to get better

Benslights

Dedicated elf

ok guys what does everyone want to learn at this years mini????

as looks like I may have to organise it again as no one is putting there hand up.

so what I would like to see is people putting there hand up to do talks and presentations.

not just the same people that do it each year. it is good to see new faces up front. also we do not bite so give it a go.

also the talks on topics are to only go for 15 max. this is so we do not bore those that are not up to this point in lighting yet or do not want to be.

we will have free time throughout the day when we can break off into groups and going things a bit more.

so lets see what we can get started with.

some suggestions I have are

xlights

p10 panels

fault finding and problem solving our displays

also this year we will be asking for payment up front and not on the day. this just makes things easier for covering costs. also helps cover the cost of people saying they are coming then do not turn up when food and drinks have been supplied already

Brett82

New elf

I'm really keen on attending the Mini. I've only just started looking into the whole lights thing. Is this something that would be worth going to for someone who is only just starting out? Or would I be sitting there with a "i have no idea what they're talking about" look on my face?

Benslights

Dedicated elf

Brett this is the perfect thing to come to for beginner and advanced

mborg10

Michael Borg

Just remember this people. No one profits from the mini. Everyone who attends and does a presentation does so because they want to share and are just generous good people. I learn more in one day at a mini then a year online. They are a big help.

Organizing something like this is time consuming and takes a lot of effort with the only reward is people participating. Try and make the organizers job easier by volunteering what support you can. Even if you are a beginner, don't be afraid to chip in. You might be able to bring a skill that we haven't even though of. We don't bite and everyone gets along. My first year I cooked and cut the Danishes for morning tea.

Hope to see lots of old faces and lots more new faces.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer

That needs a slight clarification. The attendees actually profit by learning vast amounts in a short amount of time. There is however no monetary profit to the organisers. Attendees can potentially be said to be having a monetary profit as what they learn at a mini can potentially save them thousands of dollars.

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
Just remember this people. No one profits from the mini. Everyone who attends and does a presentation does so because they want to share and are just generous good people. I learn more in one day at a mini then a year online. They are a big help.

Organizing something like this is time consuming and takes a lot of effort with the only reward is people participating. Try and make the organizers job easier by volunteering what support you can. Even if you are a beginner, don't be afraid to chip in. You might be able to bring a skill that we haven't even though of. We don't bite and everyone gets along. My first year I cooked and cut the Danishes for morning tea.

Hope to see lots of old faces and lots more new faces.

B_P_J

Full time elf

I myself went last year (2015), being Christmas 2014 was my first computer controlled setup using dumb RGB, Christmas 2015 was my first year with Pixels, and all the help you can get from the Mini is amazing, meeting the guys and girls face to face, seeing things and getting hands on up close, getting ideas on how to connect, wire, design, construct is fantastic, the guys who do presentations do it out of the love for this amazing hobby, to help progress & develop it further, helping everyone along the way, as well as doing all their own shows,
Not sure what I could do in the way of a presentation, maybe something about a beginner but I think that should come from someone who doesn't have my background with electronics, CCTV / Security isn't really something everyone wants to know about and my "current" knowledge most people cant spend those kinds of dollars on CCTV/Security.
Something that might be an idea is a talk about waterproofing & the effects it has on strips when not done correctly,
Something else to cover which I think we did last year was Fusing & Power Injection, I can whip up my wiring diagram and put a few together from others and we have a demo of all this, pictures, designs, etc.
FM Transmitters again, PSU's again, Switches/Routers, network talks again,
I am sure I will think of other things along the way, I will post them here when I think of them...

B_P_J

Full time elf

Oh and I am sure I can supply the drinks like I did last year,
Drink Suggestions please:
Coke
Coke Zero
Pepsi
Pepsi Max
Fanta - Orange
Creaming Soda
Sprite
Solo
Mountain Dew (Ben this is not to be confused with youtube.com/watch?v=KxHjkmWVttM)

gerry

Senior elf

Brett82 said:
I'm really keen on attending the Mini. I've only just started looking into the whole lights thing. Is this something that would be worth going to for someone who is only just starting out? Or would I be sitting there with a "i have no idea what they're talking about" look on my face?

Brett - definitely worth it ! This is my 3rd year with lights and I learnt a lot attending the ones I did (even when I did not understand some things , at least I learnt about them and was able to plan for them early in the year for the following year). Was also great to meet people and put faces to some of the legends. This goes for any of the minis. If for whatever reason you cant attend your local one - its worth trying to go for one of the others.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

Brett82 said:

Everyone walks out wiser for the experience regardless of the level you are and this has been proven year after year by the feedback.

ozstickman

New elf

I'm keen to make Sydney. Wife will go shopping. Just needs to line up with my roster.

I'm off every second week. So April 9-10, 23-24, May 7-8 works for me.

spamhater

Just startin out

Can't commit to coming to the mini till dates are set, but a topic I would like to see is someone covering the physical setup of their display.

In other words.. what are some best practices for implementation 'in the field'. Installation, cable connections, placement of power, how power injection is handled, home runs to controllers, waterproofing, maintaining access to your house o you can drive your car in etc etc.

I haven't done lights before, but after research I think I understand the technical implementation of programming, scheduling, networks etc.. Its just the physical implementation that has me wondering on the best ways to go about it.

I know some members have great overview videos of their setups.. Have I missed videos where people go into detail explaining the cabling setup and how everything is physically hooked up?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator

Brett82 and stews_lights you saved me asking the questions.
From the replies, looks like a thing I should attend.