Reno the mega tree

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Problem solved with sourcing power injection plugs visited local wrecking yard today (auto parts recyclers ) ask the attendant if could cut some plugs for xmas lights and yes no worries looked at few different types of vehicles and settled with these from ford falcons (finnally they have a purpose in life lol) they are high amp plugs direct from battery of vehicles and a unused recycled part was mindfull of cutting wires from needed parts as may not be allowed to again . For twenty pairs paid 6 dollars brought them home cleaned with a bit of degreaser probably 1 dollars worth washed blew out with compressor and sprayed terminal s with a little wd40 . Wires on them are 3mm thick copper so heavy duty . terminals are totally isolated so if water or dampness enters will not cross paths between negative and positive so not concerned about further waterproofing and are easy to plug and unplug . Feel is great way to source plugs and many totally water proofed plugs on vehicles if needed will surely be doing the same next time I need plugs and sockets

Attachments

• 20160814_154200.jpg
    20160814_154200.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • 20160814_174136.jpg
    20160814_174136.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135

the grinch

Purchased these the other day few dollars each perfect for my situation was surprised bunnings have quite a range of vents and colors to choose from . Hopefully will keep my hotbox a little cooler . Will holesaw size of vent poprivet and seal with silicone on each side 2 vents 1 at top 1 at bottom too extract hot air

Attachments

• 20160824_164002.jpg
    20160824_164002.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76

scamper

Dedicated elf
I agree with Shell. I just re-read this after scouring the internet and buying some waterproof automotive connectors for power injection and realised I could have done the same thing... Doh. well off to the wreckers for me...

the grinch

Thankyou shell and scamper
I've also been on the scrounge for some time now for a suitable winch at reasonable price found this one at our local B C F (boating camping fishing store ) for $47 although has webbing may cut off and just simply use rope should be sufficient .
I like the warning on package in bold red letters not to be used for lifting humans . So thats something I wont be able to use it for in the off season lol .

Attachments

• 20160826_092506.jpg
    20160826_092506.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 20160826_092600.jpg
    20160826_092600.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

scamper

Dedicated elf
Yes you can put your tree up now, Just be aware that the looks from the passers by may be strange.
I put mine up just for a test run about this time the first year, I only added 4 strings for a height test and I didn't power it up, and then took it down again.

Last year when I removed the lights, I took the topper and strings down, removed the base ring, then ran an Aussie flag up the pole :D
I won't need to spend any time looking for it this year 8)

the grinch

Hey guys yes progress has been slow lately time to finish now getting critical times have planted pole and tested height and winch works well .needs to get back to soldering few more pigtail extension leads too make and bit more power injection work to do . Have modified the pole made a joint have named kneebone joint so I can place pole into existing pipe cemented in ground many years ago and lift then lower sleeve over joint and two well placed bolts go through to sturdy has worked well now is one or two person job will be a lot less hassle and much cheaper on beers lol

Attachments

• 20160916_153717-1.jpg
    20160916_153717-1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 20160916_171343-1.jpg
    20160916_171343-1.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 91

the grinch

Mega tree is up and running few teething problems but am extremely happy . Found the nylon rope was using on winch not so good stretches and tree sagging replaced with stainless steel cable little more expense but hopefully will do for many years to come .the star was a saga had metal frame already 3 stars inside of each other little to big used 3528 12v strip we had lying around hours and hours of cutting soldering heat shrinking etc etc was not fun for me but has worked and looks awesome in hindsight nodes would of been the go but nevermind. Once we erected the tree found we had 5 dodgy strips solder joins pulled down replaced with spares luckily we had and have repaired others for future. last night ran a few sequences had prepared using xlights and oh my god cant believe it was lost for words no magic smoke and have an extremely happy wife lol. I am extremely thankful to acl plus all of you guys that have given me the know how and to the adelaide minis has been great help hats off too you all thankyou.! Will post some more pics and some video soon as ccritical times here next Saturday is lightup for us adelaide xmas pageant day . All im left to do for tree now is transfer sequences to raspberry pi should be ok but if not puter will work as backup thx heaps guys

mellowcouple

Full time elf
Wow sounds great Jason, hope I can get down to see it in action. Will wait ti see the pics and hopefully some video.

Ron.

the grinch

Sorry guys yes all went well simply just setting up the rasberry pi and transferring files wasnt as easy as I thought but after couple of sleepness nights I managed to work it out without help wich im proud of as im not really computer savvy as yet but learning . I thank everyone for there help advice etc etc as obviously without acl and the members wouldn't of ever happened for me anyways .tree looks awesome lit have done a 15 min sequence of basically everything thing it can do in 5 to 20 second increments . Am very proud even have been able to do basic text and a silly face lol by using xlights and for me XLIGHTS ROCKS ,! Was a little limited in what I could do due to using ws2811 strips but has been huge success and in future can move onto better nodes or strips is our starting point as no lights ever go to waste they can be repurposed .the falcon f16v2 controller also ROCKS for me no problems was easy for me wich is saying something as am purely mechanical minded can build things but when it comes to computers etc am handicapped for sure .have a couple of pics will try doing some video (great now need to learn to take vid and edit lol)and also no hard feelings towards other controllers and vixen as haved used them also over last few years but for myself xlights and falcon stuff has been a big game changing experience . once again thanks to everyone s help I have a very happy crazylightlady lol

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1480135402225.jpg
    FB_IMG_1480135402225.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 94
  • FB_IMG_1480135390970.jpg
    FB_IMG_1480135390970.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 93

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Well done Grinch, looks great!
I'm curious as to why you said "Was a little limited in what I could do due to using ws2811 strips" - what is the limitation? I only ask as I will probably look to do a tree of some type next year and so far my display is 100% 2811 strip, nodes & modules.