Newbie requests help setting up Pixlite 16 with xLights v46

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
This my first project involving addressable-LED control, so please be a little patient.

I have 6 x 5m WS2801 LED strips(160 LEDs) cut into 24 x 40LED strips.
They are arranged as a zigzag matrix of 24(Y axis), 40(X axis), with signal start at bottom left.

I am attempting to setup a sequence with xLights (v2016.49) and a PixLite 16 Controller (v3.6).

So far I have connected the controller to a PC with a direct (crossover) Ethernet cable.
Using the Advatek PixLite Configuration Assistant, I have successfully setup the network connection and tested the whole LED array (via the 'Test' tab options).
Colours, as selected from the dialogue box, are shown accurately on the matrix panel.
I can display all the test options from the tool tab successfully.

Also, I have run the in-built test sequence on the controller, and that displays successfully as expected.

The sequence I created in xLights displays ok on screen, but when I then select 'output to lights', the resultant display does not resemble the PC display.

In no way can it be construed as coherent, discernable display.
I do not know how to allow for a zig zag arrangement (if that is the problem).

Do I allow the first row of 40 LEDs then enter a number to allow a 'double-back' arrangement?, then repeat this for all 24 rows?
Is this hardware configuration problem or software?

Boof63

Senior elf
please show some pix of the pix16 setup pages and we can then discern (hopefully) the possible error/s
cheers Boof63

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
Thanks Boof63, for the response.

I have attached four pics of my Pixlights/xLights configuration.
The data that is being displayed on the LEDs very roughly follows the PC display (ie you can tell when it changes).

When the PC displays text, the LEDs just display a few white pixels, in a horiz line.

Running the 'tools-test' in the Pixlite config app displays all screens without fault.

I have tried many permutations of the pixel options, for the hardware and software, but still the LED matrix does not show what is on the xLights screen on the pc.

Attachments

• PixLite 16 Adv Output Config.jpg
    PixLite 16 Adv Output Config.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 80
  • PixLite Config.jpg
    PixLite Config.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 70
  • xLights Setup.jpg
    xLights Setup.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 73
  • xLights Layout Matrix Model.jpg
    xLights Layout Matrix Model.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 70

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
Looks like your channel config in xlights is wrong. You have 320 pixels in pixlite config for universe 1 which is 660 channels and only 336 channels in xlights config

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
I believe you can set the zigzag in pixlite config or xlights but not both. Maybe someone else will help with that

i13

Dedicated elf
A matrix with 24 rows of 40 pixels is a total of 960 pixels. The regular PixLite 16 (not the MKII) supports 340 pixels per output. How have you chosen to physically divide your matrix with multiple PixLite outputs?

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
I Have divided the strings into 3 sections.
Of the 24 rows, each PixLite Output drives 8 strings of 40 LEDs, making a total of 320 LEDs per output.
That is why I configured PixLite with 320 LEDs per string.

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
See pic for xLights setup, as mentioned in previous post.

Attachments

• xLights Setup2.jpg
    xLights Setup2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 53

GCAllan

New elf
Hi Santaclaws

I have attached a screenshot of my Pixlite, the first 2 outputs run my megatree 12 strings of 50 pixels each. Each output drives 6 strings making 300 pixels per output. Note the ZigZag which you will need for a matrix with yours set to 40 on Pixlite outputs 1, 2 and 3.

Under your config, the Pixlite is using Universe 1 - 510 Channels, Universe 2 - 510 Channels and so on.

In your Xlights universe/channel config , you only have Universes 1 to 6 set with 320 channels each. You will need to set the channel count on each of these universes to 510.

Xlights knows nothing about the Pixlite's outputs, it only knows Universes and Channels, so as long as you have your Xlights setup to ensure your Universes 1 - 6 have 2880 channels, the matrix should work ok.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• pixlite.jpg
    pixlite.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 69

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
Brilliant!
Thanks GCAllan, that's what the problem was (channel count needed to be 510).
Now I can progress with the rest of the sequencing.

Triffic!

All the best to you

Boof63

Senior elf
SC, apologies for not replying past the first post, but looked like the experts have solved your problems
cheers Boof63