Marmys Mini Mega Tree

marmalade

cats & pixels
Documenting my mini build in case anyone wants some ideas.. ideas/criticism welcome as this is my first pixel tree!

Specs:
180-210 Degree (will see which looks better!)
Height - 3m
Top Dia - 300mm
Bottom Dia - 1200mm
Type - 12mm Node
Strings - 16 x 42
Node Spacing - 70mm

Mast is 42mm OD gal pipe 4m long with 1m in the ground. The mast will go into a PVC pipe, 50mm ID, concreted in but below ground level so it can be capped and hidden when not needed. To take up the slack in diameters I 3d printed some sleeves which makes for a nice sliding fit :)

Top hanger is a 42mm base flange to which I've welded a ring made by hand from 6mm steel rod, supported by 8mm bracing. This will attach with an 8mm bolt inserted through the pipe (hopefully!)

More pics/info as bits and pieces arrive from our chinese friends :)

Attachments

• pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 46
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 43
  • topper.jpg
    topper.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 45
  • topper2.jpg
    topper2.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 41

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
You may want to consider using a steel sleeve as opposed to pvc.
You may find that the steel pole will shatter the PVC if put under any stress.

marmalade

cats & pixels
Thanks Rup, I definately considered it but couldn't find anyone locally that would sell me less than 4m length.

I'm planning on setting the pvc pipe in a concrete filled hole... a few bags of quickset is cheaper anyway :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
I wouldn't worry about the pvc, when set in the ground it will be safe as houses. Pressure pipe is generally uv stabilised and very strong. (I have had mine in now for 3 years with no problem... Actually, I have 3 in the ground ???
When setting it though, put a half a bucket of gravel/blue metal in the hole first and sit the pvc on that, then fill with concrete, that will allow for drainage.
If you are going to have less than 360deg tree then I would suggest some guy wires on the opposing side though to counteract the weight and wind loading. also think about how the strings will attach at the top as when you put them up there they are going to want to move around the ring if there is nothing to stop them moving.
do some tests on the strength of that ring also, as 6mm may seem strong enough, but there is a lot of weight when you start adding up all those pixels and hang them in the air.

I am not knocking what you have done, I think it looks awesome, I am just trying to save you some heartache as I have suffered a few myself :unsure:

marmalade

cats & pixels
Thanks for the help,ideas, feedback... it's all appreciated :) Will see how the topper holds up scamp.. will be easy to whip up a stronger one if need be.

This w/ends progress, dug the hole 300mm dia & 1m deep and pvc pole concreted in... certainly isn't going to move!

Given our front yard has an almost ski worthy slope on it, a wire cage was welded up to take the strings. Could have staked the strings into the ground directly in but in keeping with the garden theme I'm aiming for there will be an pixel flower garden in front of it ..in 2017 :D

At least it makes whipper snipping the out of control lawn a lot easier!

Btw someone should have warned me that boscoyo strapping was well worth the money and shipping lol Punching holes and putting in over 700 eyelets in 25mm webbing is totally :eek:

Attachments

• MarmyTree1.jpg
    MarmyTree1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 87
  • MarmyTree2.jpg
    MarmyTree2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 87

scamper

Dedicated elf
WOW. that is going to stand out on that slope.
Some may be concerned at having such a slope, but I see endless possibilities.
Make sure you post photos when the lights are up.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
marmalade said:
Btw someone should have warned me that boscoyo strapping was well worth the money and shipping lol Punching holes and putting in over 700 eyelets in 25mm webbing is totally :eek:
mmmm... did i forgot to mention that lol.....but to get it you really have to buy it early in the year as he gets very busy and mine spent 3 weeks getting thru customs in Sydney. He use to do a bulk price where he fills up a box and ships it to Au for a flat fee which is usually better than the listed price. It's a really great product for those who aren't aware of it.. http://www.boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2
Cheers
Fing

PS: your pole looks good btw... what have the neighbours said?

marmalade

cats & pixels
todays job.. something to put on top! Adjusted an image I found to suit the dimensions of ws2812 strip 60leds/m (16.7 mm pitch) and welded it up from 6mm. (Can upload a pdf/dwg if anyone wants it)

I think it should have been bigger, wife says its ok. It's just over 600mm tall..opinions?

In any case, with around 170 leds, it will be the brightest thing in the street :)

Attachments

• star1.jpg
    star1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
  • star2.jpg
    star2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 44
  • star3.jpg
    star3.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 52

scamper

Dedicated elf
It doesn't matter the size... It is a personal opinion.
And like the rest of us have done, If you get through this xmas and like it, it will stay. If you kept looking saying.... It should be bigger, then next year I am sure you will build a bigger one :D