MEGGA TREE-HELP

kymm4

New elf
hi all im in need of some ideas as to how i can solve my mega tree problem.last year we made a mega tree using lights from big w which worked well but problem was the amount of lights we had joined together and the bloody number of controllers that were amoungst the mix as well was a nightmare trying to get them all on the the same setting.So my question is i have worked out that i will need about 416m of lights is there some way i can controll that amount of length? or what is there any other lights on the market that are over the 100m mark? or can i some how buy 4 x 100 m strings of light and somehow wire them to run off the one controller? hope im making some sense that someone can see what im talking about.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
When you say controller ... I assume you mean the multifunction controllers that came with the lights. While it would be technically possible to build a circuit to link them all up it is not going to be simple. Generally once people reach the point of wanting to run a mega tree they are moving to pixel controllers or AC/DC light controllers. These are a significant investment (several hundred at least once you consider all the setup costs assuming you stick with your existing lights).

paulez2

New elf
Tell me about it! :-[
This year I built a mega tree and will be using pixel lights. $1000+ later and counting.

I guess another way to make a basic mega tree using fairy lights from bunnings would be to run then from 1 or 2 x 36 channel dumb RGB controllers. Don't use the power supply or multi-function controller they came with but Power them straight out of the controllers.
I'm no expert as this is only my 2nd year.

i13

Dedicated elf
You could do it with computer control. How many wires are there between the 8 function unit and the first LED? This will determine what type of controller you'll need.

There are also a few 8 function unit types that you can modify so that they remember the last setting they were on.

scamper

Dedicated elf
paulez2 said:
I guess another way to make a basic mega tree using fairy lights from bunnings would be to run then from 1 or 2 x 36 channel dumb RGB controllers. Don't use the power supply or multi-function controller they came with but Power them straight out of the controllers.
I'm no expert as this is only my 2nd year.

You do have to bear in mind that the big w and bunnings type lights that you could control from a dmx controller need to run on around 30v dc, so you need to make sure the controller you use will operate on this first and next the outputs can only supply so much current, so you are still limited on how many strings you can run off it.

To help in more detail, we need to know what power supplies, controllers and type of lights you are using or planning to use.

kymm4

New elf
thanks for all the help and sorry for the late reply.last year we used lights from big w which worked well ,however I really wanted to use rgb this yeah but seems I have left it to late,we have set aside $1000 to build a mega tree this year so we might even have to go back to big w and just put up with having to use 3 multifunction controllers .I was trying to ask is there a way I could cut the wires somehow and solder them into the one multifunction controller? thanks for any help.

we do have a facebook page if anyone wants to see out small light setup

search = dawn crescent Christmas lights