Sub Models

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
I finally got around to converting some of my single strand (rope light) singing faces over to some new pixel elements and I have to say sub-models are a god-send.
It made converting simple and easy. I have several sequences where I have a talking element that uses the standard 8 channels (outline, 2 for eyes and 5 for mouth). I was able to take a pixel element and create sub models for each mouth assignment and then when I imported from LOR/HLS I was able to map each mouth movement to a sub-model of the pixel element.
Xlights Rocks!

DrNeutron

Haha good catch!
But I still use HLS when importing old .lms files with hundreds of channels. I find it easier to import everything into HLS and then just look at all the channel data and see what is being used. Then I can delete the unused channels and get a better idea of the flow of the sequence and what I want to try and copy into my own. I can copy effects much easier this way and then save it and import into xlights to finish it off.

P.S. at first I thought you were talking about my caricature pic.....I was thinking.....what the heck does he want me to change about that and then I noticed my signature for HLS.
:D

dkulp

Full time elf
I have special "Import" and "Import RGB" models (single strand, a bunch of nodes) that I use for this in xLights. I import the LMS and HLS and similar onto those so I can see the data and figure out where I should map it. Then I either re-import into the correct places or copy/paste by row onto the models I want.

DrNeutron

dkulp said:
I have special "Import" and "Import RGB" models (single strand, a bunch of nodes) that I use for this in xLights. I import the LMS and HLS and similar onto those so I can see the data and figure out where I should map it. Then I either re-import into the correct places or copy/paste by row onto the models I want.
Good call, never thought of that.
The only issue I see is that most of the sequences I am importing have way more channels than I currently use. I suppose I could just add several universes in setup, but I don't want to confuse what I have there before I export to FPP. Maybe a better solution is to copy the xml files to another directory and create a "dummy setup" with several universes and import models to be used just for importing and viewing sequences.