Pi audio quality

denno020

Apprentice elf
Charger said:
Picked up one of these bad boys from my local MSY this morning for $10. - http://www.unitek-products.com/en/product_detail.php?id=437

What a massive difference. The audio has gone from unacceptable to perfect. Thanks for the suggestion - cannot endorse a USB solution enough.

What is the name of the product that you got from MSY? This one exactly? I can't seem to find it in their PDF pricelist..

that mixer looks like a direct rip-off of a Behringer Zenyx 302USB (which i have) probably made in the same factory...

ZrYRob6.jpg

Charger

Apprentice elf
denno020 said:
Charger said:
Picked up one of these bad boys from my local MSY this morning for $10. - http://www.unitek-products.com/en/product_detail.php?id=437

What a massive difference. The audio has gone from unacceptable to perfect. Thanks for the suggestion - cannot endorse a USB solution enough.

What is the name of the product that you got from MSY? This one exactly? I can't seem to find it in their PDF pricelist..

Try this link. Not sure how close you are to Adelaide CBD, but they are available from there. If the link doesn't work, click on the 'View stock levels without logging in' button on the right side of the homepage. Ordered mine last night and got an email this morning 5 minutes after the store opened, saying it was ready for collection.

http://www.msy.com.au/sa/adelaide/home/17370-unitek-y-247-usb-20-to-stereo-audio-conveter.html

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Thanks for the tip, I bought a usb sound card from ebay
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/251078285360?_mwBanner=1
Definitely an improvement to the sound, even fixed a bit of hiss and crackle which I thought was from my fm transmitter, crystal clear now. Makes sense I guess, better quality in = better quality out.

One issue though, my sound now seems to be a fraction of a second behind the lights. Anyone else noticed this? Only slight, but in certain parts of sequences it is quite noticable. Are there any settings in fpp where I could adjust this?

Kitman

Full time elf
There is a [SIZE=medium]Media/Sequence Offset[/SIZE] in the advanced settings under FPP setting and then advanced settings. It says it can delay the sequence or media but has a warning on it. You can try it and see how you go???

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just ordered one of those from MSY. Hopefully in stock today as it is literally 1km from work :)

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Kitman said:
There is a [SIZE=medium]Media/Sequence Offset[/SIZE] in the advanced settings under FPP setting and then advanced settings. It says it can delay the sequence or media but has a warning on it. You can try it and see how you go???
Quick update on this, I set an offset of 100ms which brought the show back in sync perfectly. If anyone's audio device gives a delay, this is the answer.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Ok so just tested my MSY USB audio thingy and it isn't working??
Unplugged the audio cable and plugged it back into audio output of Pi and that works fine but not via this new device.
Is there any setup required of the unit or the Pi itself?

scamper

Dedicated elf
djgra79 said:
Unplugged the audio cable and plugged it back into audio output of Pi and that works fine but not via this new device.

I haven't got mine yet so not sure, but i believe there is a drop down menu that asks what audio it is using, so am guessing you will need to set that.

DavidJ247

Full time elf
djgra79 said:
Status/Control > FPP Settings > Audio Output Device - change from Pi audio to USB

JPB

Full time elf
Also, i run mine via a powered USB hub.
But this might be because I also run a USB to serial converter th o run my Grinch/Renard stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
DavidJ247 said:
djgra79 said:
Status/Control > FPP Settings > Audio Output Device - change from Pi audio to USB

My only options are "ALSA" (current) and "set"...?? :eek:

Kitman

Full time elf
sounds like the drivers aren't installed for the USB sound card. Perhaps hey are not native to that linux distro. Might have to install the drivers manually to have it work.

The problem with the FPP is that they removed X from the build so you can't even plug the pi into a monitor and start x which is the GUI for linux and troubleshoot it from a gui you can only troubleshoot from command line which if you don't know linux then you will be stuck.

You can try another USB port and see. Also what PSU do you have connected to the Pi? it might not be big enough to drive all the USB devices.