How to configure mini trees?

Striker

New elf
Hey all,

I've bought some obelisks that I'm planning on using for next year's show. What would be better for mini trees, wrapping a spiral strip around them, and using them as a bit of an RGB only tree (I can't see anything lining up if you spiral pixels), or should I be looking at building them like mini megatrees, with top to bottom strips of pixels?

In my humble (and totally inexperienced) opinion, I think the strips of pixels would work better with xLights and the effects it can do across a whole house/yard, but who knows if I want to do that.

--Striker.

i13

Dedicated elf
I have some similar ones. They have a spiral of pixels which I just configured as a line in xLights because they're not wide enough for side-to-side effects. Up and down effects work nicely.

I'm pretty sure you can model spiral trees as spirals if you want to.

marmalade

cats & pixels
imo (and this is just a personal observation). Skip if this is too long :)

Theres definately a trend toward matrix based props and software generated effects. They obviously have their place in displays now.

However, I feel the whole theme of christmas is being lost in the pursuit of technology. You look at some of the really massive displays in the US and they are simply matrix screens with studio lighting all over the place. It's like going to a concert! In some of those cases, Christmas is simply an excuse for showing off technical expertise and how much money can be spent on a temporary lightshow.

What gets me to stop at a display is not only the flashy lights, but the -variation- in shape. Clever use of geometry and placement of physical patterns being used with leds is far more attractive than a bunch of pixelated, hard to read matrix displays.

Themed items such as wireframes, motifs, inflatables etc give the display 'spirit'.

I have 3 rgb spiral obelisks,and the typical chase up/down draws people in from a distance due their unique shape. The mini mega tree looks like a big flashy cone from afar. In fact I've had more questions about the spirals than the tree.

Make your display unique, make it personal, make it christmas. Don't fall into the trap of just throwing a video or effect onto a low resolution matrix and calling it a show. Give lights a physical direction to follow and make them do interesting things. Even a single strip can generate a lot of attention if use in a creative fashion :)

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Off original topic and IMHO:

Have to agree somewhat marmalade.
Ms 13 said, after I'd put up my display, "we need more twinkly lights, look at next door they have heaps of twinkly lights"
So off to Big W to buy some twinkly lights, must admit it does look better and gives a "conventional" feel to the display,.

Of course that's not going to stop my plans for pixel megatree, columns and matrix next year. :)

But I'll be keeping 2m inflatable Santa on the balcony and a string or 3 of twinkly lights.

Binkles

Full time elf
As I've only got a small display, the obelisks are my central pieces, I have 3 with stars on them, and they are strips. They are not uniform, but I love them. I will be making some 50 pixel minis next year, but I'm not a lot of whole house effects and try to use all my elements to parts of music. I really need to try and get sound recording on syncing for my videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk