3D Printed Snowflake design

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I saw a few metal frame and coro snowflakes and decided I wanted a few to replace the ropelight items next year. My requirements were pretty simple - 3D Printable, cheap, and look good. In the end I came up with a 6 section design that will take around 2 hours to print each part on a 250*250mm bed printer, and will cost a total of about $8 to print. I did a few test parts to get the spacing right, and I'll attach an image of the demo prints below.

Why print? Well I prefer to make my own items when I can, so even if it's just as easy to get them elsewhere, these are my design and I enjoy printing parts for my display - it's one of the few DIY things left in this hobby, now with pre-made controllers and LED strings.

The demo parts were started to check sizing, alignment, hole sizing and you can see that each of the parts is slightly different, with the final version being on the right, with larger holes for cables to hide behind the snowflake, as well as larger holes for the cableties to hold the LED's in place. The 6 sections are cabletied together but I'll likely glue mine as well, once things are built and straightened. After testing both PLA and ABS outside for the past 18 months, I'll also be printing mine out of PLA as they will be against a cream wall, so heat wont be a huge factor, but if you were putting these against a darker wall then ABS would likely be a better option. I will seal these and give them a clear coat of UV protecting lacquer as that has increased the life of both ABS and PLA items dramatically here

PS: Yes once I have done a full test piece I will share the design on Thingiverse

Attachments

• Snowflake.jpeg
    Snowflake.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 201

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Santa didn't bring me a 3D printer for Xmas [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPB

Full time elf
logandc99 said:
Santa didn't bring me a 3D printer for Xmas [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Missed mine too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Voltorb

New elf
This looks great! Would you share your pattern for pixel placement, or your XLights model info? I'm printing this now. Thanks!
Like you, I like to print what I can. It helps justify the purchase of the printer.

richardd

Full time elf
Here is my first 3d Christmas item. Will be making more but I'm out of filament.
IMG_0980.jpg