Hello from Albion Park, NSW

porkosta

New elf
Hi All,

Have been on the forum a while this is first real post I believe.
Just ordered my first pixel strip and PSU and am now hanging to figure out how it all works.

Just to start off with and for testing I will be getting a small controller of some sort before I expand into something that I can run from a device such as a Raspberry Pi.

I saw Fasteddy's display a few years ago and he told me about this site when he was at the end of his street one evening, I have been watching displays since then.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have many more questions - even after reading the 101 basics book.

Thanks,
Andy

i13

Dedicated elf
If this is a pixel strip then it might be better to start with a large controller. Small controllers are still expensive and you can get better value by starting with a large one. Anything with E1.31 input will work with data sent to it from either a Raspberry Pi or a computer with an ethernet port.

Can you post a link to what you've ordered?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
An official welcome to ACL, Im glad to see you have decided to take the plunge into a controlled display. Unfortunately I haven't done my display for a few years because I just don't have the energy and time after doing my commercial lighting as there was a lot of work just to manage the traffic each night. But my son may finally be getting to an age where he may do something next year if his laziness doesn't take control

porkosta

New elf
i13 this is what I ordered as I figured I would get something simple to learn the basics on.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12V-WS2811-led-strip-5m-30-48-60-leds-m-IP30-65-67-10-16-20/32658513954.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.hjAAsi

I got the "5M 60leds/m WS2811 12V Waterproof in tube" version. I also ordered a 12V 30A 360W PSU.

For the controller, I have been looking at a San Devices e682 pixel controller for the future. The small controller was more for a test once I built the arches etc to make sure they actually fire up. I might skip the small controller and go straight to a larger one.

Fasteddy thank you, your display is what started my interest in the first place. Living close by it was really good to be able to pop in the car and make that part of our Christmas light hunting trip.

i13

Dedicated elf
Have a look at the PixLite 16 MKII and Falcon F16 controllers. Not much of a price difference, they're capable of running significantly more pixels and you don't need to order them from overseas.

i13

Dedicated elf