P12s to DMX step by step

Phil H

New elf
I'm still a newbie despite having an all RGB E1.31 display. I'm adding some DMX floods. I'm reasonably clear on the P12s settings to enable some dmx universes but not at all clear on programming and outputs. As I run 3 separate P12s via a Raspberry pi (running Falcon's fpp) all of my controllers and the pi are on a common network switch. I'm thinking of using an RJ45 to DMX converter from my network switch which will then run to a Ray Wu 27ch Easy DMX controller and then running DMX between each of the floods. I saw on the DIY Christmas forum a suggestion to use 4 pin waterproof connectors and daisey chain 5 dmx floods on a single string. Suggested wiring for this was:
4 pin:
DMX+
DMX-
12v DC+Common Ground (12v DC- & DMX ground)
However this seems to suggest there is a direct DMX output from the P12s. Can someone point out how this might work as opposed to running from RJ45 to DMX and using a separate DMX controller?
Any suggestions much appreciated.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Hey Phil,

I setup a RJ45 connector on one end (this connects directly to the P12S) and a 3 Pin XLR Connector on the Flood Light end, using the pinouts as per DMX wiring in 101 Manual (XLR - Pin 1 = Ground, Pin 2 = Data -, Pin 3 = Data + & RJ45 - Pin 1 = Data 1+, Pin 2 = Data 1-, Pin 7 = Common for Data 1)
Then you need to activate the port on the P12S through the Web Browser, setup as a Universe (one not already in use) set it for the number of flood lights (DMX Address 1 = 3 channels, and so on)
I use Davids DA_e131 testing software to test mine, worked a treat.
Not sure if you know but you still need to power them with 12v PSU's, (just thought I would throw that one in)
Hope this helps a little

Brad J

i13

Dedicated elf
What particular floods are these? The start address can be difficult to set on some of them unless you get the seller to do it for you.

B_P_J

Full time elf
i13 said:
What particular floods are these? The start address can be difficult to set on some of them unless you get the seller to do it for you.
I think they are the Kmart ones i13, these have the screen and buttons to change the addresses to whatever you want (512)