Lights and building a new house.

h4l0

New elf
We are building a new house this year and I want to start doing Christmas lights as well.

Are there any tips or things you would do during design and construction that would make Christmas lights easier.

i13

Dedicated elf
Yes. Power outlets are an obvious answer but there are other things too. I'd add sockets for Cat5 and audio cables so you can run them from inside to outside. A way to get any other cable through in future might be a good idea too. Another thing is tubes under paths and/or the driveway so it's easy to get cables across them.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Before they lay the driveway make sure you run a couple of conduits under it so you can easily get cables across the driveway in the future. I have found that to be very handy.

Also if you can run a few conduits from your garage or house to the outside of your house before they lay the slab. These things can only be done easily when the house is getting built

And of course make sure you have some outdoor outlets put on both sides of the house.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Just another thought, if you know the builders or can offer them a little something to do a little extra ::)
If you have a rough idea where you want a mega tree, you could get a hole dug and concrete a sleeve in the ground.
Often they have a little left over concrete when laying the pad and it gets dumped. so it could go into that.

Richie4540

Full time elf
For under drive conduits either use 2 x 32mm conduits or if you really want to plan ahead drop in a 100mm water pipe and to dress it up have a grated pit either side, its not hard to fill up conduits with dirt and crap when not using them, anything smaller than 32mm will fill up real quick and make it hard to pull cables through later on.

Also each time you pull a wire through drag through another draw sting so its ready for next time.

And finally if you put any bends on the conduit try to use long sweepers and only have a maximum of two bends.

Richie

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Just thinking out loud - this could make for an engaging topic (if not already done so). Would be interesting to see everyone's idea of the perfect house and setup. Maybe at the end could combine all the ideas, put it through a sequencer and see the results.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
First of all, I'd be buying/building opposite a park, in a street that is not super tiny, but is also not a main road. Bus access would also be a bonus.

Dedicated nook/cupboard off the garage for the control center, with under-slab ducts out to the yard.

All "Xmas Lights" power / outside power points all wired to a central isolator switch / circuit.

Outside power outlets & Data runs to garden(s)

I'd build a gate-house style structure at the letterbox. Something else to put lights on, as well being perfect vantage point for CCTV

I'd also landscape in some sort of 'guard tower' gazebo[/size] design - perhaps, up hill or towards the back of the display. Naturally covered in lights too - but you can sit back/hide inside it whilst the show is running during non busy times.
Richie4540 said:
For under drive conduits either use 2 x 32mm conduits or if you really want to plan ahead drop in a 100mm water pipe

I'd definitely go the 100mm pipe idea, with pits at either end so your pipe doesn't flood. Bigger pipe means you can easily drag more cables through later.

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
Wood or pvc trim that is designed to take a nail or two.

Trim around the eaves and gables that overhangs the supports so you run stuff down the inside.

Soffit boxes-i have never seen these but my idea is to leave the soffit vent off one section and fill that with a box with cover. Be sure to cover the space well. Bats, bees, wasps and similar would love a small opening into a dry spot.

Eave troughs that have built in supports for lights. Have not figured this one out yet.

Big plus would be symetrical flat front design. I like that style best for lights. Of course, other styles work too.

Acker

New elf
Morning all,

New myself to ACL.

I think this is a great idea

I'm currently building my house and have included most of the items that you guys have mentioned and also have included some RGBW downlights and strip-lights around the front of the house/inside (approx 380 channels of DMX) this way can use these lights all year round for different events.

Like the idea for pipes under driveway/paths ect.

Hopefully be ready for Xmas this year or at least some lights..

Great forum guys, learning heaps already.

Thanks

Nathan