Recommendations on Leaping Arches Material

Noel Richards

Full time elf
Have started buy some lights I am looking at Leaping Arches just wandering what the consensus is on material have seen half hula hops also thinking about electric condute which I also had seen.

Noel
:) :) :) :) :)

Habbosrus

Back again
Hey Noel,
Many members are looking at air seeder pipe for their arches now. Here's a thread to take a look at
air seeder pipe
Other options may be arches made by James at Boscoyo Studios here (one of our local members may be able to help you)

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi, had pvc 20mm arches for previous 5 years and that worked fine (although getting arch was a little tough).
Used the ldpe airseeder hose 32mm and worked fantastic, (as habbo's posts alludes to)
Other benefit was as pipe is coiled, cut to length makes for easy arches as already shaped.
Muted the strip down enough but not reduced the visual effect.
32mm made it easy to thread 13.5 mm pigtails and strip through middle of pipe.
If doing arches airseeder hose is by far the simplest and easiest to work with
cheers Boof63

Lishfish

Full time elf
Noel Richards said:
Have started buy some lights I am looking at Leaping Arches just wandering what the consensus is on material have seen half hula hops also thinking about electric condute which I also had seen.

Noel
:) :) :) :) :)
half hula hoops? Thats not as silly as it sounds hmmm

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Noel
the air seeder pipe works well, I made 6 arches with conduit bases this year ( details coming soon,) mine are 32mm. this gives a 25mm ID which the conduit slips into nicely.

Each arch contained 2.5m of 30/10 strip, and had a 1.6m diameter.

By using conduit mine are freestanding which means I can bring them in each night.

Cheers
Fing

scamper

Dedicated elf
Obviously it depends on the look you are going for.
I like the look of the diffused glow that you get from the air seeder pipe. (although I don't have any, yet)
But for a traditional look you can wrap pixels around pvc.
I have 6 arches on the roof and got the glow I was looking for by attaching strip to pvc pipe and then using a clear uv stabilised tape ran a strip of coreflute over the top of the strip. It works, but the seeder pipe would be way neater and easier.
On the front lawn I threw together another 2 arches last year, but these were much bigger at 4m long. I simply wrapped them in pixels, drove a metal stake in the ground at 2.5m apart and slipped each end of the pvc over a stake, then I wrapped them in tinsel. They looked great, however i am sure I am going to get sick of wrapping new tinsel around them every year.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
b1f4a6d6d262e4547bc5886bd3b307a5.jpg

Due to it being impossible to get diffused or clear tubing in NZ at all or without selling a couple of kidneys to pay for it, I went cheap with aluminium strip. No diffused look but they work ok for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Josh87

New elf
Hi logan do u have dimensions of your arches by chance and the thickness of the strip

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
b1f4a6d6d262e4547bc5886bd3b307a5.jpg

Due to it being impossible to get diffused or clear tubing in NZ at all or without selling a couple of kidneys to pay for it, I went cheap with aluminium strip. No diffused look but they work ok for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

G'day Logan. I was wondering, would it be better if the pixels were all facing uphill to prevent water ingress in the end with the power. So when you get to the peak switch the pixel through 180 degrees and then work your way down. You could still get the same spacing I think due to the cord between nodes. They look great but thought this may help with longevity. Happy to be wrong though as I guess you have probably thought about it already.

livetoride

Full time elf
I think you would find that it wouldn't be much of an issue with the amount of epoxy in those pixels and the little surface area that water could sit in!