2 core pigtails from Ray Wu - Is there a better alternative?

cdjazman

Full time elf
This year I will be running power via 4mm2 cable consisting of multiple lengths.

My question relates to using the 2 core pigtails that are thinner gauge wire from the top of the pic you see and then attaching that to the 4mm2 cable back to a 2 core pigtail.

Would a short length of smaller gauge wire affect the voltage loss or would I be better connecting the 4mm2 without the pigtail.

I am looking at having something set up that would be similar to controller boxes with pigtails hanging out but don't want to lose power.

Is there any other options other than standard Ray Wu style pigtails? Any other products people have used?

command centre2.jpg

if 'weatherproofness' is not an issue, then i would do a direct connect.

i have seen other people use automotive electrical connectors (scavenged from scrap yard cars) The Grinch used them on his mega tree enclosure.

cdjazman

Full time elf
heathwithnoteeth said:
if 'weatherproofness' is not an issue, then i would do a direct connect.

i have seen other people use automotive electrical connectors (scavenged from scrap yard cars) The Grinch used them on his mega tree enclosure.

No 'weatherproofness' is not an issue as it will be mounted on the wall in the garage. Will check out the automotive connectors

Thanks

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Look up "Anderson Plugs" on ebay. Less than $1 each delivered, and I use it for all my high current injection runs. for 5/12/24V weatherproofing is not required as these are designed NOT to corrode.

cdjazman

Full time elf
lithgowlights said:
Look up "Anderson Plugs" on ebay. Less than $1 each delivered, and I use it for all my high current injection runs. for 5/12/24V weatherproofing is not required as these are designed NOT to corrode.

Thanks for the heads up.

Are you using the 30A or 50A out of curiosity. They look like they have some size about them.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I use 50's, and when I had a look again they are just over the $1 mark, sorry. My last order was mid last year and I got 20 for $18 delivered :)

cdjazman

Full time elf
lithgowlights said:
I use 50's, and when I had a look again they are just over the $1 mark, sorry. My last order was mid last year and I got 20 for $18 delivered :)

Wondering if there was a reason for using 50A vs 30A..... my power supplies are only 30A..just thinking for plug size for me...

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer

cdjazman

Full time elf
smartalec said:

I am liking the solar connectors. There are several options for T and Y connectors and being ip67 could use them both ends......