matrix vs lcd panel cost ?

marmalade

cats & pixels
Was looking at including some matrix displays in 2017 but am I correct in assuming that for area coverage, they are still overwhelmingly expensive/complicated?

As simple calculations go, to cover an area the size of a typical 60" TV (~1400mmx800mm)

To cover this area with P10 (320x160) would require 20 (4x5) panels

Each panel at $15 = $300

Psus ~$100

Mounting ~$50

Controller + wiring/fuses ~ $100

So about $500 all up (very approximate!)

A quick look on gumtree can net a 60" flatscreen' lcd/led for this amount, of course if used outdoors some weatherproofing would be required (and then there's the issue of running 240V mains )

But it would not be as heavy, be more power efficient, and be far clearer. And if one likes the pixel'ed effect of a matrix it would be trivial to trigger downsampled mpgs to play.

Aware it's not in the spirit of DIY as well :)

Opinions?

Kimbo3000

Apprentice elf
Hey,

Good question..

These days you can find brand new cheapie TV's for $10 per inch or less. That being said, personally even if they were the same price, I would still go the route of doing a matrix. I dont have one in my display (yet), but I think they fit into the rest of the display better. You can do effects grouping all elements including the matrix, whereas a TV you cant (maybe?). Also the whole sequencing of non video related stuff would be a lot easier (I presume).

And, as you stated a matrix fits into the whole DIY theme of xmas lighting.

The pro's of using a TV are that if you use a new one, you get a warranty (although not if you tell them you used it outside.. haha) - and also out of xmas season you can use it as a TV in the house/shed.

A good question never the less.. :)

just my 2c.

Kimbo

multicast

Senior elf
the panels will be significnatly brighter than your tv. remember that the panels are intended to be stuck on buildings and seen during the day. Your average TV won't compete with sunlight.

However during the night this may or may not be an issue, and using a bunch of TV's is not a bad idea at all.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I thought the same thing myself a few years back. I am stuck between wanting to have picture/video effects but not wanting a high resolution matrix as it looks too much like a tv and IMO detracts from the whole xmas light display.
but, if you were to look at using tv's you could go smaller displays and matrix a bunch of them, have the best of both worlds and maybe find a way to generate plain colours and use each induvidual screen as a pixel in it's own right when not displaying video 8)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is now becoming a cost effective solution with large size TV screens going cheap. A cheap HDTV 50 inch can be bought for under $500 now days as you wont need the extra smart features or Ultra HD (4K)
It really goes down to the effect you want and how you will plan to make it weatherproof. A good High Lumen output projector is also a good alternative allowing for a much larger coverage area

multicast

Senior elf
and as for "its it christmas".. Dont' ask .. Just ask.. " do i like it " and if you do thats all you need for an answer.

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
The Falcon Player (FPP) will let you treat that TV or projector attached to a Raspberry Pi as a matrix using FPP's "Virtual Matrix" Channel Output. You can choose any virtual resolution in 16-pixel increments and the Pi's GPU does the scaling for you. You can have a 1080P TV but create a virtual matrix that is only 160 pixels tall in your sequencer.

I am currently testing some new enhancements to this feature on a direct attached 480x320 TFT LCD that piggybacks right onto the Pi, but the current code in FPP v1.9 works great to create a Virtual Matrix on the HDMI output on the Pi. We have lots of FPP users who used this feature with projectors in 2015 and 2016.

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
CaptainMurdoch said:
The Falcon Player (FPP) will let you treat that TV or projector attached to a Raspberry Pi as a matrix using FPP's "Virtual Matrix" Channel Output. You can choose any virtual resolution in 16-pixel increments and the Pi's GPU does the scaling for you. You can have a 1080P TV but create a virtual matrix that is only 160 pixels tall in your sequencer.

I am currently testing some new enhancements to this feature on a direct attached 480x320 TFT LCD that piggybacks right onto the Pi, but the current code in FPP v1.9 works great to create a Virtual Matrix on the HDMI output on the Pi. We have lots of FPP users who used this feature with projectors in 2015 and 2016.

Ive tried to look for how to videos on setting up a projector/TV with a FPP and sequencer software but can never find it. I have a few spare TVS and would like to use one or two in a display. Has anyone done a how to? Im hoping to find something that starts with sequencer and finishes with the actual connection of the hardware.

Lishfish

Full time elf
Qldking (Brad) said:
CaptainMurdoch said:

Ive tried to look for how to videos on setting up a projector/TV with a FPP and sequencer software but can never find it. I have a few spare TVS and would like to use one or two in a display. Has anyone done a how to? Im hoping to find something that starts with sequencer and finishes with the actual connection of the hardware.
I wouldnt mind knowing as well I would be looking at more projectors but might consider some Tv's

Lishfish

Full time elf
can you run a tv straight from your laptop as a virtual matrix, or is it only possible through things like a raspberry pi?
Could you use a raspberry pi zero just for this purpose if you couldnt run it straight from the laptop?

darylc

404 darylc not found
can you run a tv straight from your laptop as a virtual matrix, or is it only possible through things like a raspberry pi?
Could you use a raspberry pi zero just for this purpose if you couldnt run it straight from the laptop?

You can run it straight from a laptop if you use xschedule instead of FPP.

Otherwise you can run it from a PI, I haven't tried from a pi zero, if it has hdmi port it should be fine using fpp virtual matrix functionality

Lishfish

Full time elf
You can run it straight from a laptop if you use xschedule instead of FPP.

Otherwise you can run it from a PI, I haven't tried from a pi zero, if it has hdmi port it should be fine using fpp virtual matrix functionality
Okay cool thanks

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Viewing angle on a TV/LCD screen isn't as good as a P10 panel either. I noticed that bigtime when attempting to use 15" laptop screens as Digital Signage

Though if you've got TV/screens going cheap - then I wouldn't say no to any artistic use.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.