Pixels Strips on Gutters

Cabrinha

New elf
Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get a bit more detail on how everyone mounts strips to their gutters in particular how you negotiate corners with ws2811 5m roll 30leds/m pixel strip. I have a gutter line like below

3.5m

Option 1: Do you cut the 5m strip to fit the straight sections of the gutter and then solder on pigtails and connect each section?

Option 2: Keep the 5m length intact and bend it around the 90 degree corners and then connect 5m lengths using pigtails

Option 3: Cut the strip at the corners and solder in a short section of wire to make it more flexible around corners

Thanks in advance

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I found the best method was to attach the strip to 25mm electrical conduit to keep it nice and straight and easy to handle and then cut to suit each straight length of your gutter, then fit a plug in between each section. This then makes it easy to put up and to pull down and store. So option 1

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I do option 1 similar to what Eddy described. My lengths are no longer than 2m for easier storage, all with 3pin connector plugs.
However, to negotiate corners (of which I only have 2 for gutters) I just have the strip corner around naturally, but then supported by the conduit.
You can sort of see in first few minutes of my video here: https://youtu.be/sK5LGq8Wd7c

Dave_Szoka

Full time elf
Not sure if your from AUS, but I use these:https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-25mm-conduit-mounting-clip-2-pack_p4330823
b1f10edecd6be1a05111ff1ed195a61e.jpg

I mount 12v pixels though 25mm conduit... I leave the clips in place & just clip the conduit in & out

Just an idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roosta

Full time elf
Hi,

I have done both option 1 and 2 and had good results.. Which method is best well thats bend dependant..

25mm conduit is a great way of doing nice straight lines and curves with strip..

Here is a distance pic on option 1 used on gutter to roof ridge line..

269FAFC2-D9EA-4C5A-AA83-63D733B2FC48_zps6cvgmgzr.jpg

Here is a pic of option 2 on the garden bed and candy canes..

608566A2-D9FD-4260-BBF3-D1EFCE61E3E1_zpseedwtcn8.jpg

152CD94D-398B-45A5-BEFA-4BD377E1376B_zpsow5nlp03.jpg

Hope that helps..

Cheers,
Nik

Cabrinha

New elf
Thanks everyone for the fast responses including the pics and videos. I intend on mounting it to 25mm conduit but just could not get my head around what to do with the corners of the gutter. I think for ease of mounting, storage and a place for power injection I will cut the strips to fit the straight sections and mount pigtails at each end.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
No potential spanner....works great. Been using for a few years now with no issues.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The way I mounted my conduit was to just buy a roll of heavy duty tie wire from Bunnings and then make up gutter hooks that hold the conduit in place, also makes it quick to remove for any repairs or when you are pulling down the display. Ive also used it for window frames making hooks that can hook onto the window frame and hold the conduit in place.
But being rigid you may be able to take the same approach for conduit and use heavy duty tie wire to cut and make steel hooks that will be able to hold your strip in place

videoman3857

Full time elf
I use only LED strings for around my place. - they just twinkle.
I used 20 mm conduit from Haymans Electrical supplies and conduit saddles from Bunnings directly under the gutter. I painted them the same colour as the facia
I drilled tapered holes in the conduit at 80mm intervals so the led sits snug in the conduit and
I routed a groove in the saddle to allow the wires to run by.
The cable runs behind the conduit and in front the fascia board and is not in the weather
Corners are pig-tailed and are tucked behind the gutter drops.
These lights are pretty well out of the weather and the suns direct uv rays and have been left up permanently
for three years now.
20 mm conduit is not as rigid as 25 mm, but 25 mm mounted on the clips protruded out further than
I wanted so I went the 20 mm and just used more saddles for more stability.
Pig-tails on the corners was the only option for me as it was:
  • too difficult to try and solder everything up on site
  • made it easy to hide the wires behind gutter drops
  • made it easier to place the conduit on each face of the house.

Last edited:

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
I use only LED strings for around my place. - they just twinkle.
I used 20 mm conduit from Haymans Electrical supplies and conduit saddles from Bunnings directly under the gutter
I drilled tapered holes in the conduit at 80mm intervals so the led sits snug in the conduit and
I routed a groove in the saddle to allow the wires to run by.
The cable runs behind the conduit and in front the fascia board and is not in the weather
Corners are pig-tailed and are tucked behind the gutter drops.
These lights are pretty well out of the weather and the suns direct uv rays and have been left up permanently
for three years now.
20 mm conduit is not as rigid as 25 mm, but 25 mm mounted on the clips protruded out further than
I wanted so I went the 20 mm and just used more saddles for more stability.
Pig-tails on the corners was the only option for me as it was:
  • too difficult to try and solder everything up on site
  • made it easy to hide the wires behind gutter drops
  • made it easier to place the conduit on each face of the house.
Do you have some close up photos? Struggling to picture it.

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Not at the moment, but I will take some as soon as my son returns my camera. Stay tuned.
Thank you. I am also about to install gutter lights and debating about using the conduit method direct to the gutter, or nailing the lights to the eaves directly behind the facia.