1000 pixel matrix mounting ideas

JCooper

New elf
Hey guys,

I have a pine tree 'wall' that borders my neighbours property. It is roughly 3m high and 10m along. Last year I used a dumb blue led mesh that looked good however I think some of the wires have broken.

This year I am thinking of making a 5m x 2m matrix out of 1000 bullet pixels.

It will be 10cm x 10cm spacing between pixels.

First question, will the spacing be ok at 10cm to produce text and basic 8 bit style graphics? It will most likely be viewed from the street 10m away

Has anyone done something of this scale using a cost effective way of mounting them. I can get plastic barrier mesh from bunnings and was thinking of punching holes at the X. It might not have the strength I require. Another option I have seen is using poly carbonate roofing with 12mm holes in it. Does anyone have any other options to mount the pixels in a large matrix?

Attachments

• 20200821_143537.jpg
    20200821_143537.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

scamper

Dedicated elf
I was going to make a matrix with plastic fencing myself, but when the bulk buy happened a couple years ago from Boscoyo I ended up getting one of their matrix mesh's. I got the one with 3 inch centres (75mm) because I couldn't see myself using any more than 512 pixels in 1 prop.
It looks ok for patterns and basic block text from the street (approx 8-10m away) But I am kicking myself now that I didn't get at least the 2 inch spacing as it doesn't look so good with graphics. In saying that, if you have a larger area, then you can spread the graphic out more and then it isn't quite as bad.
To answer your question about mounting, i say anything that can hold the pixels at a fairly consistent distance would suffice and just build a frame out of pine or whatever you can work with and just make the mounting more or less depending on the matrix material.