1. Hello Christmas Expo attendees, welcome to AusChristmasLighting!
    Download your copy of the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual (free account required)
    Introduce yourself and tell us about your display plans
  2. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

12V addressable led strip light

Discussion in '101 Display Basics' started by Wayne Smith, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Wayne Smith

Wayne Smith New Elf

I recently obtained a 12v addressable led strip light WS2812B Waterproof and for the life of me cant get them working. I have tried two separate 12v power supplies and with the data in (green wire) connected to my raspberry pi 3 as well as arduino uno but yet nothing. I do get a quick flash of some light when Initially plugging into a power supply but that is it. Any suggestions would be helpful 20171230_131808.jpg

Attached Files:

2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    You would need both the data and gnd wires connected to the pi and have the 2811 outputs enabled/configured on the Pi. The Pi pumps out 3.3V logic and the pixels use 5V so ideally you should have a level converter of some sort to bring up the logic level. Connecting a 2811 tester is great for testing.
    http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/pixel-tester-2811/

Below shows part of the 2811 config within FPP
    http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/PI28D-2801and2811.jpg

Wayne Smith likes this.
  3. Goliath

Goliath Apprentice Elf

Others will have to help with the Pi/Arduino bits. I am told that plugging/unplugging 2811 chips to a live power supply is likely to blow chips. Always make sure power is turned off when doing this.

Wayne Smith likes this.