2 noob questions about WS2811 strings

taintedsaint

New elf
Received strings from two different suppliers to compare/choose where rest will come from. Both identical in general but one string has three pin (as expected) other has 3 pin AND has an additional two leads coming out of end of each string. Prewired for injection? Anybody?

Second, controllers haven't arrived yet, have power supply. Can a string be tested just to ensure it works without any type of data or controller?

Thanks to all.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
The additional 2 leads are just for power. I prefer to just join them to the power line into the string.

scamper

Dedicated elf
If you apply power without a data signal you will most likely get all leds on white.
They usually flick white before data is recognised when you turn them on.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Guys, I have this type of string with two more threads than the usual three.
One of the two wires is the masssa that goes connected to the mass of the controller, example Arduino nano as I did for the star that I made this year and one of the two is the signal related to the data ..
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zNqJH66IyQNYRBAelgjUrZgFqPGuQUN9

It's unusual to see that style of pixel termination. You effectively have 2 bare wires to power the string and 2 wires to supply ground and data. Snip the connector off and use 2 ground, 1 data and 1 5V/12V.