1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

20% discount until January 2018

Discussion in 'Hanson Electronics' started by AAH, Dec 26, 2017.

1. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    I have a site wide discount on my site active until 1 January 2018 (AEDST). Use the coupon code "Bye2017" at the checkout.
    All of the existing bulk discounts are still available and the buy 4 or more P10 panels and get a free Octoscrolla or rPi-P10 offer is still in effect. The P10 offer will probably be discontinued at the same time.
    www.hansonelectronics.com.au

B4IGO and djgra79 like this.
  2. Juz89

Juz89 New Elf

I am wanting to make an order but before i do are you getting anymore of the 31V 400W power supply's in anytime soon?

3. OP
    OP
    AAH

Find Me On:
    I won't be ordering in any more power supplies until probably around mid year.

4. ElSalZi

ElSalZi Apprentice Elf Generous Elf

Sweet offer.

As we are just starting out, we hav no idea what we need... is there a starters/beginners suggestion post for people like us?

5. OP
    OP
    AAH

Find Me On:
    It depends on how you are starting out and what you want to do.
    For DC lights
    USB dongle
    DMX36
    DMX18
    DMX2-18
    For Pixels
    rPi-28D
    HE123 and daughterboards (HE123 isn't available on site yet. Been waiting on testing of dkulp FPP builds)
    Hexfuse
    2811DC boards if adding DC stuff into a primarily pixel display
    P10 panels
    rPi-P10
    Octocrolla
    P10 panels

ElSalZi likes this.
  6. swb

swb Full Time Elf

You can't really answer that question until you know what you want in terms of lights. Design your display and then start looking for the required equipment. Having said that, get a string of pixels, a cheap power supply and a simple controller like a PixelStick type (there are several version of that controller, @SmartAlec sells one). Hook it all up and see if you can get it to work with xLights. I did my first pixel display this year and getting some practice equipment helped me out HEAPS!

ElSalZi likes this.
  7. ElSalZi

I guess to answer both of your questions, I will upload a number of pics (2 of this years Kmart lights, and the remainder our initial 2018 plan - on our official planning paper :laugh:)... We have a Raspberry Pi (or 2B - originally destined as a Minecraft Server, but essentially ignored) and an Arduino Uno (in a kit - present) which was the basis of my initial plan. We have a butt-load of KMart Christmas LED lights, some of which are solar (but soon feint)... we are looking to transition over to the "Real Christmas Light show" starting this year....

Looks like I will need to do this in 2 posts...

Attached Files:

8. swb

swb Full Time Elf

Pretty awesome for a static display really!

ElSalZi likes this.
  9. ElSalZi

Plan 2018...
    TV Areal Shooting Star and spray.jpg We will use our existing Star & LED spray from our TV areal
    Carport Boundary Fence.jpg A core-flute sign board looking for pixels for the word and then a pixel border around the sign & the fence line
    Carport Roof.jpg CarPort to have a dual pixel border (strips, probably) with 2 correlate Christmas stars (animated mouths hopefully singing) & a Maga tree with pixels...
    Front Fence.jpg Front fence with 6 Strip LED arches (@2m), fence panel divided into 3 bordered parts and then correlate presents on the ground.
    Overall front design idea.jpg this is who it sits, with the Carport to the right of the front fence and the Yard gates to the left of the fence...

Our roof design is still under "Negotiations" but its slanted on all 4 sides. Basics will be borders around the bottom of the Awning, also at the base of the roof sheets, Borders delineating the different sides and then we will fill the space with ... something!

Ultimately, we'd like a Pixel screen covering the three bordered fence panels ... but I am worried what this will cost us so far! See above post on what we did this year ...
    Comments, quotes (PM?!?)welcome.

Like I said, we are initially looking to make use of the Arduino & Raspberry Pi...

10. OP
    OP
    AAH

Find Me On:
    Depending on the vintage of the fairy lights etc you could potentially have them flashing with a 2811DC30 controlled by a rPi-28D on top of 1 of your Pi's. There'd still be the best part of 2000 pixels that you could control.
    If they are the new style 2 wire 2 channel ones then you could use the DMX output of rPi-28D and a DMX2-18

ElSalZi likes this.
  11. ElSalZi

my wife' design and hours of labour!

She will appreciate your comment

12. ElSalZi

We have a selection of both, mainly 2 strands (looking at the LED power Supply) and a few 3 strands.

13. ElSalZi

2 stranded controller.jpg 2 strand- wire controller
    3 stranded controller.jpg 3 strand-wire controller (old sets)

14. B4IGO

B4IGO New Elf

Thanks for the super fast shipping Alan! Great service! :)

15. OP
    OP
    AAH

Find Me On:
    It's mainly up to AusPost. I get most orders out the same day and almost all the Aussie ones go Express Post which is overnight to most of Aus.