Melbourne/Vic 2014 - Melbourne Mini - 17th to 18th of May

caffeine

Full time elf
It's definitely on!!!!

TuppetsDad has 'retired' from organising this year after great years of service.

I'm running with some of it (primarily keeping momentum) until someone puts their hand up (if they ever do) to make sure I have one to go to :)

Date: 17-18 May
Venue: CNC Design, 1K Marine Parade, Abbotsford, 3167
Wiki link: https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/2014-Mini-Melbourne (work in progress)
Cost: To be determined.

The weekend is ours. Now the question is what we want to do with it.

Last years wiki entry shows the topics covered last year. From what I understand the mini's serve a number of purposes:
  • To share knowledge, to both novices and experienced users, on Software, Hardware, Sequencing, Electronics etc.
  • To showcase new toys and changes in the industry.
  • To meet with others who share your blinky passion and network with like-minded souls.
  • To show of your toys if you so desire.
The next major step, as I see it, is to lock in topics. Best way to do that is for people to say what they want! So please share in this thread what you hope to get out of it.

Andrew Frazer has offered a door prize (see this thread) and offered to do a slot on either Networking and/or Multicast.

Other prizes and topics will come soon.

I've also started approaching some vendors to try and get their presence at the event.

If your able to come please use the event registration above this post, and use the comments if you are only attending 1 day. That will help everyone keep track.

Let's make it a good one!

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
First and foremost you'll need somewhere to host it.
Previously Tuppetsdad held it at his factory which was great.
Ideally the venue needs to have:
  • enough room to accomodate approx 30 - 40 people
  • An area where members can set up and demonstrate/tinker with display elements.
  • BBQ facilities
  • A projector
  • Also be centrally located enough to accomodate a majority of the members
I'd be happy to hold it at my place but I dont think we'll all fit in the garage :eek:

ecbailey

Full time elf
Re: 2014 - Melbourne Mini

tuppetsdad hosted a very good Mini last year, hopefully he will be able to provide some advise for whoever is going to be kind enough to host this year.

Also add Internet Access to that list. Maybe someone with editing privilages can make a wiki topic and 'borrow' some of last years content to get a base going?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer

I'd be happy to host it in my 60x30 shed. Plenty of blinky stuff in there and if I moved stuff around there'd be room. It would also save me the 150km journey south to Melbourne :)

caffeine

Full time elf

AAH said:
I'd be happy to host it in my 60x30 shed. Plenty of blinky stuff in there and if I moved stuff around there'd be room. It would also save me the 150km journey south to Melbourne :)

To be honest that would be OK with me (considering the current alternative is Adelaide!). I'll have a look at alternatives as well though.

Although judging by your recent chats Internet could be an issue at your place :p

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?

caffeine said:
AAH said:

To be honest that would be OK with me (considering the current alternative is Adelaide!). I'll have a look at alternatives as well though.

Although judging by your recent chats Internet could be an issue at your place :p

I know where you live Lyndon!

Snicko

Apprentice elf

I cant provide much advice as this year im planning my first sequenced display
But id be a definite attendee regardless of wher

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?

The good thing about the mini's (as I found out from last year) is the information just comes together. People will provide the information and possibly present the information for the mini. Biggest thing is the venue and attendees.

so people, if you can think of a venue (preferably free or very cheap) speak up.. The cheaper it is, the more free the mini becomes. :p

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf

I'm happy to help out if need be but more than likely I'll be changing jobs between now and any proposed mini dates so think might make things harder. My new venue has no function space at all so I can't help there. Perhaps I should make that part of my criteria for all new venues.

caffeine

Full time elf

I'll do some research today.

Community halls are an option, businesses are another. Churches are tricky since they have a tendency to be used on the weekend :)

I've got a couple of leads to chase down but if anyone has a suitable venue, or an idea for one, jump in!!!!

multicast

Senior elf

Just have talked to tuppetsdad, he would be happy to let the Mini be held at CNC design again. Hes pretty busy, so if someone else organises it, he'll turn up with the keys.

caffeine

Full time elf

Sounds great Andrew!!! Any objections from people who have been to the previous ones?

I can't see why we'd look a gift horse in the mouth :)

caffeine

Full time elf

K... so that's solved unless someone has a better solution.

On to the next things. When should we hold it, and who's going to organise it?

Looks like May is around the right timing. From what people tell me too early and the new products aren't known, too late and it's pushing being too late to order, build etc.

Currently Adelaide are the 24/25th of May, Sydney the 31May to 1st June.

We can go before, after or we can also do the 24/25th of May. Guess there's no problem with running at the same time unless there are people planning to go to both. We could also set up a link for bit and cross the border virtually.

Anyone got opinions on date?

As to who's going to organise it, I'd be happy to but not sure if I'd be the best person to do it since I've never been to one before.... Anyone want to raise their hand?
No reason we can't have co-organisers if no-one wants to take on the whole thing (e.g. if someone wants to lend their knowledge and experience to guide and I can do the running around and tech)....

multicast

Senior elf

caffeine said:

I woud suggest the 2nd weekend of June. That corresponds with "the Light in Winter" which is the big displays in the center of melbourne. Also, some people will be heading to vivid in Sydney the 1st weekend.

CNC design is an ideal location, theres the training room, and kitchen/smoko room, plus a large warehouse space for displays and stuff. They ahve guest Internet, lots of electricity, a BBQ. Its easy parking, and not too far from teh CDB. Plenty of good places to get lunch and dinner as well. Plus its cheap!

I'm definaty trying to make it this year, i'll lock it in my calendar, and i'd be happy to run a session on something interesting.

caffeine

Full time elf

andrew_frazer said:
caffeine said:

I woud suggest the 2nd weekend of June. That corresponds with "the Light in Winter" which is the big displays in the center of melbourne. Also, some people will be heading to vivid in Sydney the 1st weekend.

CNC design is an ideal location, theres the training room, and kitchen/smoko room, plus a large warehouse space for displays and stuff. They ahve guest Internet, lots of electricity, a BBQ. Its easy parking, and not too far from teh CDB. Plenty of good places to get lunch and dinner as well. Plus its cheap!

I'm definaty trying to make it this year, i'll lock it in my calendar, and i'd be happy to run a session on something interesting.

Sounds good then! I know the second weekend of June is the one weekend in the year that is out for me. Not that that means it can't run then (it would be really annoying but the needs of the many...). I think it might be so for others as well though as it's the queens birthday long weekend.