Melbourne/Vic 2016 Melboune Mini Format and Sessions.. The first christmas Blinky PLUGFEST

multicast

Senior elf
After a breif conversation with Tuppetsdad this week, and in the absence of any better plans, Here is a plan for the Mini, which will take a somewhat differnet format from previous but should be absolutely awesome. Lots of doing, and not so many power point slides!

Over the two days, we'll go from just having a bunch of "stuff" ( decorations, trees, lights, pixels, controllers, computers, network stuff ) to having a functioning and sequenced show. By building the show in pieces we'll be able to cover a whole bunch of different topics, get some hands on experience, try some new things and this will be good for newbies to old hands... It won't be brand specific, but it will stick to some standards. We'll need lots of participation and there will be the opportunity for you to bring your favourite thigns and plug them in. Yes what we are going to is a PLUG-FEST! ( thats a festival of plugging ).. Seriously we want Lots of different stuff!

There will be plenty of time for you to do what you do best. ( talk amongst yourself ). we'll no doubt have "issues" along the way and we'll have to troubleshoot them.

To make this work, we will need a little bit of pre-preperation, and some people will have to help bring some bits along.. Each session will be about 90 minutes.

Sat Morning..

Session1: So we have got some lights. We need a plan of what we are going to build. [ part of the plan will be pre-built, but we'll fill in some details as well ].. This will be a session on planning what you need.. Power requirements, cables, where stuff will be, Ip numbering.. Tuppetsdad is the guru on planning and loves spreadsheets.

Session 2: How does this stuff talk together.. So, we need to plug it in.. We'll cover off DMX, E1.31 in both unicast and multicast and see what differneces it makes.. In the practical side, we'll configured some devies and for the uber geeks we'll capture some packets and look at wireshark. At the end of the morning, we should have some things lit up and under control.. You guessed it, this will be multicast's session.

Lunch.

Session 3. So, we have our devices out there, but its not much fun just turning them on and off. Welcome to the wonderful world of sequecing.. Potnetially we'd like to break this into two streams. the first session will be a broader session comparing the highlights and lowlights of various control software. We need a session leader for session 3

QuickTalk A: We'll have a few of these 15 minutes spots to fill in..

Session 4, potentially we can break up into a couple of streams and look at a specific bit of software, and atually do some real sequencing...

Xlights likely will be one, are there others.

Put your hands up if you want to take a workshop on this. What you'll want to do, is get your controller set up talking to the devices that we have set up earlier.. So you'll have to work to the plan.

Also if there is anyone that want to do a deep dive into network protocols for lighting, then I'll happily bore you to tears..

Quick Talk B: Show and tell!

Sunday Morning:

Quick talk C: Whats new in lighting control Protocols... e1.31 enhancements, e1.33.. ( what the heck is that ) and E1.40.. ( positioning data for show control ).. From your freindly CPWG member. thats me

Session 5

Advanced Bits and Peices..

Falcon Pi Player
Led Panels ( the thigns you call P10' )
FM transmitters.. and anything else that you want..

Quick Talk C: TBA

Morning Tea

Session 6:
Sequencing Part 2.. Following on from your Session 4.. We want to see a finished show!

BBQ Lunch.

Quick Talk D: TBA

Session 7: SHOW TIME!!! We get to see your shows! This is where it all comes together.

Coffee, Questions/ Answers, Tall Story telling and Wrap Up..

SO WE NEED SOME PEOPLE TO RAISE THEIR HANDS TO TAKE SOME SESSIONS!!

Theres 4 15 minute spots to fill in with a quick Blinky related topic. Pick something, it might be technical, artistics, talking about your shows, or some project you are working on. Nothign is really off the list of possiblitys!

We need session leaders for:

SESSION 3: Overview of Sequencing, the various software types etc.

We need team leaders for

SESSION 4 and 6.. This is specific to a particular control software.. ( eg Xlights, LOR, Vixen ).. You may want to team up with someone..

Session 5: Other cool stuff -

I will be your friendly network administrator for the weekend.. What that means, is that I will be the evil-geek who will assign you universe numbers, Ip address's and other stuff.. This isn't too make life boring for you, but we just will need to keep things just a little co-ordinated!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
On Day 1 between plugging stuff together and sequencing it's probably worth a short session on testing via da_dmx, da_e131 and the test features of Xlights, Vixen, LOR etc. It's between the plugging and controlling where a lot of newbies have dramas.

multicast

Senior elf
AAH said:
On Day 1 between plugging stuff together and sequencing it's probably worth a short session on testing via da_dmx, da_e131 and the test features of Xlights, Vixen, LOR etc. It's between the plugging and controlling where a lot of newbies have dramas.

yes, we'll certainly send some test packets into our network.. I might chuck this on the ned of Session 2.. But i wont' go into the specifics of the test functions on those "Squencing" software packages. ( deliberately ).. But i will metion it..

Alan, which session where you doing?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
(18:24:16) multicast: ALan, which session are you taking
(18:57:19) AAH: multicast: ALan, which session are you taking <<<-- advanced tim tam eating
(19:01:08) AAH: on day 2 I'll conduct Coke Zero consumption for beginners through to advanced drinkers :D
(19:11:43) ryanschristmaslights: AAH or how about day 1 morning ... how to consume coke zero, day 1 arvo how to consume tim tams .... day 2 how to consume coke zero AND tim tams (advanced consumers only!) :D:p

On a more serious note I will talk about just about anything that's required. There's certainly people who know more about the sequencers, FPP and networking than I do. Getting a show going and keeping it going are my "topics" of choice.

DavidJ247

Full time elf
This will be my first mini, really looking forward to it. Plans sound great, I like the idea of starting the weekend with an assortment of everyones bits and pieces and finishing with a sequenced show.

As I'm still new to most of this I can't offer any help presenting but I'm keen to pitch in and lend a hand with anything else that needs doing, food/drink, setup or whatever, just let me know where I can help.

I'll be driving in both days from the South-East (Narre Warren), if anyone wants a lift just pm me.

gerry

Senior elf
Perhaps we do a setup with 2 FPs (one outputting stuff to lights) , the other projecting a video and a BBB projecting on P10s - all multisynched on the same playlist/sequence ?

If there is interest - where would this be slotted in ?

multicast

Senior elf
Gerry, thats awesome.. We need to figure out where it slots in, but i was very much hoping that we could get some of those elements...

This format for the mini, i think will be very sucessfull.. Lots less long talks and much more doing.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Sounds like a great format. Shame I'll miss day 1 but looking forward to seeing it day 2.
Not sure how I could contribute unless you want to cover audio editing?

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Everyone,

i used the multi-node faces feature in Xlights for my singing faces and some non face applications that you may find interesting.

It would only take 15 mins and might be a good show'n'tell filler if people are interested and there is time available.

Cheers
Fing