Melbourne/Vic 2018 Melbourne Mini - 2nd-3rd June 2018 - RSVP here

Discussion in 'Mini Christmas Expos' started by djgra79, Feb 27, 2018.

1. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    I'm happy to demonstrate them. I reckon I may have used them enough to know what to do with them.

djgra79 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    djgra79

djgra79 Senior Elf Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    So @AAH if I do a presentation on peripherals and tools/equipment to consider to use/buy for the hobby, you could then do a follow up preso on how to use some of them such as multi-meter? What else would people want specific training on? Soldering tips maybe?
    @ryanschristmaslights did you have space at ADL mini for a preso on tools & equipment to consider for the hobby? I'm happy to put something together.

3. abundy

abundy New Elf

Would like a demo about Raspberry Pi's, maybe something like how to get a raspberry pi to have both a wireless connection and a wired connection to different networks, and stuff like that.

4. OP
    OP
    djgra79

Find Me On:
    HI All.
    I have updated the WIKI to include the topics being presented & confirmed so far. But we need more!! So for those attending, could we please get your suggestions and/or offers to present a topic please? It doesn't have to be a full-on whiz bang powerpoint (but no problem if it is!) we'd just like to get a bit more structure to the weekend so it will be more beneficial for all.
    Cheers :)

5. AAH

Find Me On:
    I'm just throwing out a few topics that people may want to know about or may be experts on and would be willing to speak about.
    Xlights - getting started
    Xlights scheduler
    Xlights - lyrics tracks and singing faces
    Xlights - sending data to controllers
    Vixen (there's been declining numbers at recent mini's but it may still have interest)
    LOR (or alternately transitioning from LOR to Xlights or Vixen)
    Falcon Player (Pi and BBB) - basic setup to control shows
    Falcon Player - capes, projectors and plugins
    Terminology - DMX, Universes, Channels, Controller ID (LOR), bit snooping routers, multicast, unicast etc, etc.
    Cabling - Cable types, cable capacity, effects and limitations of different cables
    Light types - dumb lights, rgb lights, pixels, P10 (as well was P4,P5 etc) panels
    Networking - how to configure Ethernet networks (wireless and wired), dmx and LOR networks

Tool time - I'm happy to talk multimeters, soldering irons, crimpers, wirestrippers and whatever else is needed/used.

djgra79 likes this.
  6. battle79

battle79 Full Time Elf Generous Elf

If anyone is interested I can fire up my laptop and do a quick demonstration on vixen 3. It won't be a power point presentation it'll just be me running through a really quick setup and then running a quick output.

djgra79 likes this.
  7. averagebloke

averagebloke New Elf

Would welcome advice on x lights sending data to controllers. Need help

8. OP
    OP
    djgra79

Find Me On:
    There was a great discussion at the Adelaide Mini about some attendee's displays, and i think it's a really great way for people to ask on the day the creator's of the displays "how did you do that?!" be it sequencing, element build etc.
    I'll put together a quick video montage of your display video's, but I need content! So far only myself, @cdjazman & @DavidJ247 are the only confirmed attendees with videos loaded to the VIDEO GALLERY. (and I assume you guys are happy to talk to your displays!)
    So if you are attending and are happy to talk briefly about your display, could I please get you to add it to the above video gallery at your soonest convenience?

Tagging so you see this post :)
    @BallaratLights @AntinOz @mccar @daunce @buzzdude @andrewa @burnt @gerry @AAH @abundy @livetoride @Wendys @battle79

AAH likes this.
  9. bluewombat

bluewombat New Elf

Sorry guys, looks like I have to pull out. Coming from Tassie and was going to travel Fri, but can no longer get that day off work.

10. OP
    OP
    djgra79

Find Me On:
    That's a shame, but these things happen, thanks for letting us know.
    Fingers crossed I'll be able to stream the weekend on Zoom, so keep an eye out :)

11. battle79

battle79 Full Time Elf Generous Elf

djgra79,

I've uploaded the only song I could find from last year, doesn't use the singing faces, but does show off logandc99's graphics.

Doesn't look like video's been approved as yet.

Regards,
    Rowan

djgra79 likes this.
  12. AAH

Find Me On:
    Do we have someone who is capable of talking on that?
    A single Ethernet connection is relatively easy to talk about but the requirements for running wired and wireless and adding routing is above my pay grade and it's something I wouldn't mind learning about as well.

13. OP
    OP
    djgra79

Find Me On:
    I use my Pi in a wired connection so I can talk to that and its setup, but not wireless, unless anyone else can offer to help?

14. burnt

burnt Apprentice Elf Generous Elf

i have wireless working on my pi but i have not setup routing.. happy to show what i know