20mm strip end caps

tooms

12v4life
Hi All,

I purchased a bunch of this last year; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-DC12V-WS2811-450LEDs-30pixes-m-WHITE-PCB-led-digital-strip-IP66-waterproof-in-silicon-tube/32488835082.html (or maybe it was early this year) .. but I'm trying to find end caps to suit, I'm basically cutting the strip into 1m lengths for starbursts / spirals and struggling to find end-caps that I can use to seal off the ends where I've cut.

The biggest I can seem to find with google is 15mm, is anyone aware of someone selling the 20mm versions or another clever way to seal off the end of the strip once cut?

Thanks

-Dan

i13

Dedicated elf
I used to seal off 12mm strips with silicone and dual wall heatshrink before I found out about end caps. These have not failed but the soldered ends with the proper caps do occasionally fail. The heat shrink provides better physical protection for the join despite being more fiddly. I'm now going to try using heatshrink over the end caps. Dual wall heatshrink sticks to itself and sets nice and solid if you press it together over the wires while it is still hot.

You could probably get the right end caps for that strip by asking Ray to include some in your order. He probably has them.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I usually fill the end with silicone and then put heatshrink over it and shrink it and let it dry.
have never had a problem yet. I would think i would silicone it if i were to use end caps also.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
scamper said:
I usually fill the end with silicone and then put heatshrink over it and shrink it and let it dry.
have never had a problem yet. I would think i would silicone it if i were to use end caps also.

Ditto

Using the heat shrink with silicone creates a very good seal because when you shrink the heat shrink then the silicone is forced in to make a very tight and clean seal