1. Hello Christmas Expo attendees, welcome to AusChristmasLighting!
    Download your copy of the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual (free account required)
    Introduce yourself and tell us about your display plans
  2. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

24V power supply to 24V capable controller for 12V strip?

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by nutz4lights, Jun 27, 2014.

1. nutz4lights

nutz4lights Full Time Elf

Hey all,

So I am getting ready to do some indoor RGB+WW (warm white) projects around the house. I have found these controllers from Mi Light and am going to give them a try. Ray has them in his store:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2-4GHZ-4-zone-controller-LED-RGBW-touch-controller-DC12-24V-input-6A-4CH-output/701799_1655246260.html

I really wanted the multi-zone capability. My main plans are kitchen (above cabinet, below cabinet, and toe kick) lighting as well as family room (above a large built-in shelf) lighting. That adds up to four zones within probably 0 meters of each other. This RF remote can do four zones, although it can control quite a few more controllers by linking multiple controllers to one zone, which I plan on doing.

Anyway, my question is... I asked Ray to recommend a power supply that would work well with the controller and the RGB+WW strip I plan on getting from him (which says it is 12V) and he recommended this 24V / 150W power supply...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/24V-150W-Tabletop-LED-Power-adaptor/701799_1019172364.html

Does that make sense? The controller says it can take 12V to 24V input and it can output 12V to 24V just fine... but the strip is 12V. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

-Louie

2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
  3. OP
    OP
    nutz4lights

Ok that's what I thought... but I was starting to think I might be crazy... I have to look at the wattage for the rgb+ww strip.

4. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    All it means is that the controller can run from either a 12vdc or 24vdc power source

So if just using a 12vdc strip then just use a 12vdc power supply

5. OP
    OP
    nutz4lights

Thanks again guys.