27ch (ray wu etc..) LED controller not responding to DMX

robt

Apprentice elf
My 27 Ch (Ray Wu, holidaycoro..) doesn't seem to be responding to dmx, i read as much as i could find, i know about the test mode on switch 10. I have all switches off except #1 (so dmx address 1) and hooked dmx in to a standard hardware controller ("dmx operator"). I have power to both unplugged while i make the connections.

When i power everything up, the LED that i have hooked to the wu controller turns on, but the controller has no effect, the led just stays on at full brightness. The DMX/power light is off, but it seems to stay off whenever i have power going to the led, so i thought that was normal. If i unplug my LED, the DMX/power button blinks at a constant rate. If i then unplug DMX, after about a second it stops blinking, so apparently it's getting DMX.

I do have the dmx operator fixture #1 button set on. This controller has ch#1 hardwires to fixture #1, iow, when you have fix #1 selected, you're always broadcasting on ch#1. As i understand anyway, obviously something isn't working..

If i enable test mode (switch #10 on), there's no change, the LED just stays on.

Thanks!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Any chance you could draw a pic of post a photo of how you have the led connected. The led should have no effect on the dmx data unless you're doing something nasty to the power. Under normal operating circumstances with the dmx lead unplugged you should have the led on the board on solid and the output led should blink momentarily on power up. If it is on test mode then that 1 led should be flashing every now and then according to the test sequence.
My initial thoughts are that there is something screwy with your power supply or power supply connection.

robt

Apprentice elf
No access to a camera right now, but here's a link to the high power led i'm using

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151055404898?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's 3 watt, since i had problems, i disco'd two of the colors, so just running one channel.

I'm using a 2-watt, 12 ohm resister, using green channel, which is rated at 3.2-3.6vdc for that led, and a universal wall wart that switches from 1.5-12vdc, set to 3.5vdc.

Since you said that, i disco'd the power supply and measured. I think you're exactly right! Pow supply is set to 3.5 but it measures around 12volts? It's a new power supply, but a cheap one.. I'd also better recheck the numbers for power and resistance, this was a second try, i'm not great with electronics, and now i'm not so sure i got those right. Thanks for replying.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You won't have any luck trying to use a wall wart. It is going to have to be some sort of regulated power supply and for the board to work (without modification) it will need a minimum of 8V DC.

robt

Apprentice elf
Ok, i had it running ok before with a lower power led, i had the brightness changing with the led controller, but no matter, out of spec won't work, and i didn't realize i was that, thanks for the help.

robt

Apprentice elf
I have it running much better now. Most of it was my lack of experience with electronics, and some because there apparently is no manual for the 27 ch controller. I had a few of these LEDs hooked into it, but couldn't get any more than ch 1,2 &3 to turn on. I was assuming that each block of connectors would be hooked into their own fixture on the dmx controller, but they're all on the same. Once i had the atx power supply hooked in via 12v rail, it was just a matter of doing the match right (i got it wrong before), and also the power supply was running at too low a voltage. Thanks for the help!