2811 pixel strip and channelling question

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by Madko, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Hey all,

With the pixel strip 2811 5m one IC per 3 pixels, when it comes to channels does the first 3 pixels only require 3 channels? One channel for red, one for green and one for blue? Therefore when setting that channel high in a sequence will make all 3 pixels light up depending on what colour is being selected?

2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    Each IC is 3 channels (R, G and B). It is each channel that you are controlling and each 1 of them is a channel in your sequencing software. Depending on the "pixel" it can be a single led being controlled, 3 leds at a time for 12V and there is the potential that 6 to 8 leds at a time could be controlled if there is any 24V 2811 strip around.

3. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

It's the 12V strip. So are you saying that within my software, for example the first 3 pixels, I set channel one red high, the first 3 pixels will light up red?

Also, a 12V, 2811, 5 meter, 10 piece IC, 30 pixel per meter strip has 150 channels?

4. David_AVD

David_AVD Good news, everyone!

Yes and yes. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Thanks!