3D printable cover for generic 350W PSU

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
For too many years i've run without covers on the backs of PSU's but i'm older though maybe not wiser.

So a little time in Fusion 360, one prototype and I have ended up with a basic cover, screw holes on the sides align with the M4 holes, you will need M4x6 long screws though 10mm ones won't hit anything it seems.
AC cord cutout and DC cabling cutouts provided, internal spacing should be enough for spade connectors.

Version 2 with vent holes and flip up a few posts down.

P8310157.jpg

P8310158.jpg

Designed so the bottom is flush

STL file attached for anyone wanting to try one

Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• 350w mount.stl
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Nice, I like it. A question and some feedback. If you take out the bottom screw will it flip up without removing the top screw? The output seems offset to one side. wondering if it might be better to add a second one and to have each centers on the v+ and the v- sections.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Nice, I like it. A question and some feedback. If you take out the bottom screw will it flip up without removing the top screw? The output seems offset to one side. wondering if it might be better to add a second one and to have each centers on the v+ and the v- sections.
No it won't but I would like it too so I can see a revision happening.
The quite solid offset for the output is so you get a neat exit for multiple cables for a small pain in the initial routing.... Trivial though to publish two versions, so consider the improvement idea accepted.

Cheers
Phil

algerdes

Al Gerdes
I like this!
One question, though. Many of the power supplies use the opening at the bottom (where all the screw terminals are) as part of the ventilation system. (Usually air intake.) Any problems with heating up when these are covered like this? If it does, then perhaps your "version 2" could have some ventilation holes. If not, well ...

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I did mean to update this thread.
The STL file only suits SMPS units with the outputs as shown in the photos, which seems to be more common, the ones using a vertical connection stick out and block the cover, i haven't yet done a new cover for them

Cheers
Phil

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
The lack of strain relief on these PSUs seems a real concern.
The power supplies are not meant to be used independently/standalone. They are to be mounted inside an enclosure, with properly routed cables (potentially anchored internally), which would then have their own strain relief as they enter and exit the outer enclosure to "user-accessible" areas where the cables could be disturbed.

The cover above is for when you're working inside the outer enclosure, to prevent accidental contact with the mains connections.