3M Pixel Tree with Scrolling Text

BWhit

New elf
Hi All,

Very new to putting up xmas light displays but I'm wanting to set up a Flat 3m tall pixel tree with Text to set my display apart from others i've seen in the neighbourhood.

I've found the below strip lights from Ray's Store, looking at getting 16 strips x 3m, and would like to know if they would be suitable for what I'm after.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/926778326.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail

Also I was thinking the E682 for the controller.

Any advice / suggestions or pitfalls from previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Should I be looking at a taller tree to get the full effect from the text or is 3m enough? Just don't want it to completely overshadow the rest of the display as its not a large front yard.

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day BWhit, welcome to ACL. Here's a little snipit of my tree showing scrolling text. My tree is 12 strip wide x 3mtrs tall. I used this strip
Text on tree test
Here's another to show a little more of the tree capabilities.
My Christmas Sequence
I used a E6804 to run my tree, a star atop the tree and 8 candy canes. Everything worked very well.
Hope this helps a little.
Sorry about the terrible video. That's something I have to get better at this year.

BWhit

New elf
Thank you everyone for your welcome and help.

I like the look of the PixLite, especially the plug and play, should make it much easier to set up. Doesn't list the ws2812b as compatible on that site so i'll just have to check with advatek on that.

Habbosrus your tree looks amazing, just the sort of thing I'm wanting to put together. Definitely answers my question about text working well on a 3m tree. Looking through the forums the strip light you used seems pretty popular, i might have to consider using that strip instead.

Is the ws2812b just a newer version of the ws2811, or completely different? Is there any obvious issues I'd face using the ws2812b from my link (i.e compatibility, harder to animate with, etc)?

Habbosrus

Back again
The ws2812b is the same as ws2811 but is embedded in the led I believe. Your resolution will be higher as you will be controlling 1440 individual pixels (4320 channels) as opposed to 480 pixels (1440 channels). However, if HLS was used, you can control the whole tree as one channel (PixelPlane). I am very new to all of this so hopefully one of our talented and skilled members will chime in here. Good luck with your choices. You've only got 354 days till Christmas 2014, haha.

mellowcouple

Full time elf
I used 6 of the strips you are looking at for my tree, I cut them in half to make 12 strips x 2.5m tall. and controlled them using a j1sys p12s. I only used 6 universes. All performed great, I ran some text on mine but had to go across the street to read it as standing at the fence it was to close to read it.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL,

Personally if you really want to standout in your neigbourhood then I would make the tree using full 5 metre strips, the shear hieght of the tree in itself is sure to impress, let alone what you can do with it

Anyway plenty of members that have built a tree like this including myself, so take your time to do your research and you will easily have something impressive for 2014

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I did a 5m tree like Eddy's this year and it worked really well and people seemed impressed. ( just make sure you have somewhere to store it afterwards)
by4a6asa.jpg
8usa4uba.jpg

Devo

Apprentice elf
Community project designer
"I like the look of the PixLite, especially the plug and play, should make it much easier to set up. Doesn't list the ws2812b as compatible on that site so i'll just have to check with advatek on that."
Yes the PixLite controller supports the 2812b strip (it uses the ws2811 chip.)

caffeine

Full time elf
I used the Advatek for my first year this year, and their strings as well (albeit in my own housing).

This was the result: https://vimeo.com/82496637

I can recommend their controller if you're only running one pixel type. Realistically for 16 output controller + power supply + pigtails + housing it's not a bad price compared to components and the effort of putting it all together.
Depends on how DIY natured you are, but I found it an easy way to start to allow me to focus on the build and sequencing which was enough work on its own!

Trioxide

New elf
logandc99 said:
I did a 5m tree like Eddy's this year and it worked really well and people seemed impressed.
8usa4uba.jpg

I love your tree. Do you have instructions somewhere on how you made it. I have been searching but have not had much luck finding detailed instructions on this. Would love any help provided.

damona

Full time elf
A flat tree is easy to build than a circular tree. I have done round mini trees and unfortunately I will be finishing the base of a Mega Tree tomorrow. It takes time to bend material , or make bends etc, if you can not find something in hardware shop which will do the job..

Unless their is a good reason all new items will be flat rather than 3D. I am even thinking of doing boxes e.g but they will be 2D design looking like they are 3D.
__
/_/|
|_|/

Trioxide

New elf
I understand that. I am looking to do a flat tree. What material is strong but light weight to make this tree? What are you using for support to keep it up? How is everything tied together? I am brand new to this so have no experience but want to get started. I want to learn from other's experiences so I don't have to put a lot of time and money into redoing as there is a better way.