4 Core Security Cable 7/0.20 White

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
That size would be ok for very low current items such as Big W strings, but too thin for pixels. The larger one (14/0.2) is better for most applications but is more expensive of course. I think "Electricians Warehouse" has 4 and 6 core 14/0.20 security cable at pretty hot prices.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Yeah, that's a pretty hot price Matt. It seems to have a thinner outer sheath than the Altronics one, but perfectly fine for Christmas lights. :)

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Ive used Altronics once - never again 10 days for the stock to arrive

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Matt said:

I buy from the same guy but in a 300 metre roll and use the 14/020

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Security-Cable-6-Core-14-020-305m-Box-White-Accesss-Control-Security-Cable-/251149064833?pt=AU_Television_Accessories&hash=item3a79a69a81

I originally used the 7/020 from altronics a few years back but the cable I linked to above seems far better value and has a higher current capacity

DanJ

Full time elf
I was planning to use some 20 gauge T-stat cable (locally available from Home Depot) for about a 60' RGB run. Is this security core wire 14 AWG? That seems really "heavy" for RGB apps (?). Thx.

adski

Dave Brown
DanJ said:
Is this security core wire 14 AWG? That seems really "heavy" for RGB apps (?). Thx.
It's Metric - 14/0.20 = 14 conductors each 0.2mm diameter - about 21 AWG

Dave

DanJ

Full time elf
Ok. Thx Dave. Appreciate the info. I am planning to use a 14 AWG/5 conductor cable . I figured I could double up on power conductors if needed in case I have nuisance voltage drop..

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
DanJ said:
I am planning to use a 14 AWG/5 conductor cable . I figured I could double up on power conductors if needed in case I have nuisance voltage drop.

If you ever have just one extra wire, use it to double up the ground (-ve) instead of the +ve.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Your signal cable references ground so with reduced resistance on the ground line you have improved signal definition as a bonus and still get the current rating you were looking for.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
DannyP said:
Why double up the ground? I'm sure there is a reason which I don't understand.

To clarify; I was talking about pixel strings.

There's two electrical paths sharing the ground; the power to run the LEDs and the data reference.

Excessive drop in either ground or V+ will lead to duller lights, so doubling either would be an advantage.

Excessive drop in the ground wire will also introduce a shift in the received logic levels that pixels needs to receive reliably. Doubling the V+ wire will not help, but doubling the ground wire will help.

So, doubling the ground wire helps both ways, but doubling the V+ (only) helps in only one way.

Now, if we're talking about "dumb" RGB strings, doubling up the common wire (usually the V+) is e way to go as that's the wire that has the sum of the individual (colour) currents.