4mm "solar" cabling, too good to be true?

Iain

Full time elf
This looks like a great price, 100m of DC "twin" 4mm cable for $213.40. That's $2.13/m. Is it too good to be true? Is it "4mm" but really 2mm?

I'm thinking of buying a roll...

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

BooY

Topper Man
Trade is around $140-160 a roll pending brand supplier and qty ordered so that would be about correct for retail have a look at Phils review for some testing

Iain

Full time elf
thanks for that. I might see if I can get a Sparky friend to get a better trade price for me from somewhere… Phil’s thread is what got me thinking about it :)

Iain

Full time elf
Thanks! They have it for $150 + $24.90 postage. That's $1.75/m!

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Thanks! They have it for $150 + $24.90 postage. That's $1.75/m!
This looks like a great price, 100m of DC "twin" 4mm cable for $213.40. That's $2.13/m. Is it too good to be true? Is it "4mm" but really 2mm?

I'm thinking of buying a roll...

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.
It is really 4mm square, why does the pricing seem to good to be true? This is the classic example of sheer volume of use driving the price down, 4mm, 6mm and 10mm solar cabling is all the solar industry really uses at the domestic install level and think how large that is even in Oz.

The retail price outside to ordinary consumers is all over the place and full of profiteering with pricing from your $175 to north of $400, most will see pricing between 250 and 350 and still see a good deal compared to Jaycar and Bunnings.

The wholesale price depends on order volume and talking to the local warehouse manager that orders in 200 drums at a time, they get it even below what BooY noted above. So if you have a larger solar company or even installer in your area it's worth a chat to them and explain what your using it for.

Cheers
Phil