60mm-RGB-full-color-WS2811 globe style... dead?

jordang

New elf
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help - at my wits end.

I recently ordered 4 strings of Ray Wu's RGB full color ws2811 globes:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/60mm-RGB-full-color-WS2811-globe-type-pixel-light-DC12V-input-1-44W-6pcs-5050-SMD/32311519989.html

and i've got them connected through an e682, standard ws2811 entry - nothing new or interesting... and not one of them works. :(

I haven't changed the plug on them, and using the same plug - i've connected another string of pre-wired strings (ws2811 - standard 50 pixel led string) and they work fine.

Anyone have any history with these? If one set of ws2811 work, i can't see why these would be any different. Same power, 12v (opened up one of the bulbs to confirm - has 12v written inside on the LED base)..

Scratching my head. :( Any help will be greatly appreciated. It appears either a config issue on my behalf (but if the e682 test pattern doesn't work - i'm lost) or i've just got 4 completely dead strings.

Jordan

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm pretty sure that there are 2 different speed 2811 pixel types; 400KHz and 800KHz. Maybe these nodes are the other speed?

jordang

New elf
Thanks for the reply, but alas... discovered the issue. Posting here to save any other noobs the heartarche of thinking their newly delivered strings are stuffed.

Thanks to Dale from the chat room - we discovered it appears that the Green (normally data) and the Blue (normally Ground) were swapped when they were setup in the factory. Quick swap and they're working well. I emailed Ray to let him know in case anyone else has the same issue with these strips.

dale82

Senior elf
I'm glad your lights are all working. It always pays to check the wiring of each of the strings as it can change from batch to batch. It will save a lot of heart ache and headaches trying to figure out what the issue is.

The beauty of this forum is we are all here to help and to learn. And most of all to enjoy our displays.