1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

64 bit compatibility

Discussion in 'xLights (Nutcracker)' started by Madko, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Hi Guys,

Is the nutcracker program windows 7, 64 bit compatible?

Cheers

2. oldmanfathertime1000

oldmanfathertime1000 Computers, music, audio, video, electronics

All these sequencing programs have worked great for years as a 32 bit one , So I don't see where it would much difference whether it was 32 or 64.....

3. smeighan

smeighan Dedicated Elf

xlights is 32 bit and works on windows xp, windows 7 32 and 64 bit, windows 8 32 or 64 bit.

xlights is so compact (It uses less than 50mb of memory) and so fast (uses 24% of one cpu thread) that there is no reason to compile it into two versions.

if we every start to run out of power, we will first make it multi-threaded before we make it 64 bit. there is no reason to make it multi threaded yet.

thanks
    sean

4. angus40

angus40 Senior Elf

I am curious as to how many versions and or locations of Xlights.Nutcracker you have installed on your machine ?
    To resolve your issues this may help.
    If more than one , I would suggest a clean slate and fresh install of the latest version .
    after removing all traces of xlights , do a restart of your machine before a fresh install .

5. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Hi guys,

Reason for asking is because I transferred my HLS program and sequence, as well as the latest copy of xlights/nutcracker program onto a portable hard drive. I took all these from my laptop which is running XP and started running it on another laptop running windows 7 64 bit. I only have 1 HLS program and 1 Xlight program on this portable.

The first issue I had was trying to open my sequence in HLS. It said unable to open file. I tried opening it normally, tried opening it as administrator. I then did a compatibility check which allowed me to open HLS and my sequence. When I tried to save the settings it said there was a compatibility issue still. However, it still let me run my program, save and edit. I need to keep using this compatibility checker each time I open HLS to be able to open my sequence.

My second issue was when I created a Hlsnc file within xlights and tried putting it into HLS I again got the same error which was unable to open file.

I haven't had time to run the portable hard drive back onto my other laptop to see if I still have these issue.

I'm sure your thinking why change laptops in the first place? I did this because firstly my graphics card on the XP laptop isn't good enough to run the preview function ( which now I have finally used on the windows 7 64 bit laptop and is excellent and makes programming a lot easier). Secondly I was having some Xlight issues transferring hlscn files onto my pixel plane line. I think this was due to having the 3.0.0 version and not the latest which i have now. Angus gave me a Hlsnc file which I dropped onto my pixel plane line and worked perfectly. So I'm guessing it was the version I was running. (When I confirm this ill post my results back on the other post to close that issue off)

6. Habbosrus

Habbosrus New house (again) 2017

Find Me On:
    You may be experiencing issues with file path associations as well. I tried running HLS from a portable and experienced a couple of problems too. When you created your sequences on the xp machine, HLS would have associated those files with a particular location on your drive and when you switched to the portable, those locations changed (well, that was my experience). I was able to run HLS from the portable after a bit of fiddling. Did you install Xlights on the portable or just copy the folder over?

7. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

I installed xlight directly onto my portable.
    Yes it does seem to have some file path issues.

8. smeighan

smeighan Dedicated Elf

"Yes it does seem to have some file path issues."

HLS or xLights?
    if you did a fresh install of xlights on your portable, there should be no issues with paths.

thanks
    sean

9. OP
    OP
    Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

HLS seems to have the file location issues on windows 7 because I have no dramas back on XP! Everything works great however I can't use the preview function due to my poor graphics card under window XP. Now I have used the preview function shows how much easier it is to program and is a very useful tool.