A 38 x 50 strand MegaTree for 2021 - build and doco

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Background:
After five years away it wasn't hard to stay to something small to ease back into the game, over the years my megatrees have had anything from 40 vertical strands down to 24 depending on how the available strands got split up, yes that was plural trees :)

This year for something different I settled on 19 x 100 cnt strings doubled over for 38 x 50 cnt at 100mm (4") spacing as this is what i already had in storage. I use C9 3d printed covers over all the leds so they all needed to be reprinted, most of that is covered in a different thread.

Info:
Pole is 60mm, 3mm wall Aluminium pipe at 6.5M long.
The hole in the ground is made up of 60mm Pressure pipe that has around 63mm internal diameter. It is sunk down to the rock/clay layer on the yard and concreted in place. The Aluminium pole goes about 900mm into the ground, not counting the extended pipe above ground.
The topper is made of Alu checker plate top and bottom with a 3D printer section sandwiched between for spacing. 19 holes are drilled around the outside for the string hooks.

The star on top has been around for a while and is made from 6mm Alu bent and weld as needed. It has 100 2818 dual data path pixels also with C9 covers. The dual path pixels are used in the event one goes faulty the rest keep working... last thing you want to do is fix a star in the middle of a season.
Local point of use conversion is used with 24v->5V convertors mounted under the topper, Coax is used to get the 2811 data signal up to the top.

Everything is run from a very under utilised Falcon F16 v2

I can stand up and place the pole into the ground largely by my self still and then it just becomes add all the strips.

Lets add some photos

Pole in the ground with Controller and power supply cases in place
PC110374.jpg

Close up of the front and back of the case setups
PC110376.jpg
PC110377.jpg
yeah i know more 3d printed bits, easy way to mount the cases to the pole.

Inside of the controller box after power up and network connection, the network cables have just been lying on the ground for 5 years, the cable is still good no cracks etc, the connector has lost it's click lock bit but otherwise plugged it in and it worked.
You will see a spare cable, I have always run a spare to each of the major items.
PC110378.jpg

I would have re-done the ends but could not find the rj45 crimper.

Time for some verticals
PC110379.jpg
Two up on opposite sides so they could be tied off to balance the loading on the pole.

PC110381.jpg

Still have 4x100 cnt to put up and then do the spacing and tie off each vertical.... then data and power :) getting closer

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Update: never quite got finished enough to turn on tonight, need some 2pin to 3 pin power inject cables that i should have lots of and can't find.
Tree looks better with the strings spaced out and the anti rotation strapping in place.
PC110385.jpg

The star at the top is powered up but no data connected and therefore being LX1203/2818 they have turned on blue.... can't be bothered to unplug so i have a nice blue star overnight :)

The star is not facing the street as it is faced so it is squarely visible to traffic travelling on the street.

Trivia: those pixels are the reason you see LX1203 as one of the pixel types in the controllers.

Cheers
Phil

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm not seeing a pulley system so how are you getting to the top to attach the lights?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I'm not seeing a pulley system so how are you getting to the top to attach the lights?
The simple answer is you don't see it because I don't.
The hook setup is designed so i can lift the entire string into place from the ground and hook into hole in the topper, this also allows for entire string replacements during the season for repairs etc.
It's a bit trickier with the horizontal strapping but a couple of cut cable ties and it's all easy.
I bought a 3.66m extension pole this year but i have to stand on a short ladder with it.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
We are on, only 18 of the 19 100 cnt strands up but it's at least running animation sequence tonight

PC120388.jpg

PC120387.jpg

Sorry about the crap photos.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I should actually write about this as well.......

When I refreshed all the strings and the 3D printed mounting ends I managed to get one wrong..... my standard has always to have input to the left, go up and come back down to my right as you look at it from the outside of the tree.
Well guess what.. I got one reversed and didn't notice till i was tying all the strings off, well no panic as that is always fixable in the controller.
I choose NOT to fix it in xlights as it is easier to deal with a one of hardware config in the hardware.
On top of that the xlights config had the primary star starting at 6121 ch instead of following on from the tree.

All this stuff i find easier to fix at the controller.

Meant i needed one extra data, hardly short on them, despite what the screen shows i'm only using 7 of 16.
Gave the reverse order string it's own port and reversed the order.

Think i will keep working in the older traditional fashion for FPP and Controller config.

Cheers
Phil

Capture.PNG