A total novice

Steve Habjan

New elf
Hi everyone,
I m based in Cairns and have been inspired to have a go at doing a Christmas display for 2019. I have some basic led’s , rope light and old bulb ones too. My goal is to have a music to light show. I’m a total novice at electronics and have been reading some of your forum and it all a little overwhelming lol!
Silly question but can I use my old lights and new pixel with the same controller or do they need to be seperate?
Steve

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
You will need to separate them onto different types of controllers specific to different types of lights and their are a few options. Depending on how much old stuff you actually have would determine if it was economical to buy controllers for them to use or start again and get hooked on the real Light stuff. Although limited in control for the old traditional lights they can still be used alongside any new stuff you get into in the future.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you post some pics of the plugpacks etc for the lights you've got we can offer advice on how you can control them.

Goliath

Full time elf
For an example, here's a rough guide to what I have done.
Setup.jpg

Steve Habjan

New elf

Steve Habjan

New elf
If you post some pics of the plugpacks etc for the lights you've got we can offer advice on how you can control them.
You will need to separate them onto different types of controllers specific to different types of lights and their are a few options. Depending on how much old stuff you actually have would determine if it was economical to buy controllers for them to use or start again and get hooked on the real Light stuff. Although limited in control for the old traditional lights they can still be used alongside any new stuff you get into in the future.
Thanks AAH.. photos won’t load at moment

Steve Habjan

New elf
I "think" that you need to have at least 3 forum posts before you can post pics. It's an anti-spam feature of the forum.
Thanks Al,
I have had a read of the 101 Manual and now thinking what have I got myself in for LOL! I would love to do an outline of my home/roof in smart Led's/strip but with the size of my home I reckon I would need 200 odd mtr just for that.....