AC dimmer for FPP

nato595

Let's do this!
Is there an AC dimmer/controller (similar to the common LOR 16 channel AC controller) that will work with FPP?
I'm kind of getting the impression that FPP only controls E1.31 pixel controllers and DMX.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If the FPP can output DMX, use that to drive a standard LOR AC controller. All except the really old boards accept DMX. You will have to make a cable adapter though.

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
FPP also works fine with the LOR protocol. We have several uses still using the LOR protocol with FPP. A LOR channel output can be setup on the same page in the UI as the DMX channel output type.

madmaxisback

New elf
Nice!
So can I daisy chain from USB485 to 1-4 controllers and tell FPP its 64 channels?

How do we then address the LOR 1-64 when sequencing?

I have about 300 channels on DMX also, so would I be better off making up a cable to suit and changing all LOR to DMX?

Edited: Got it! Easy as 1-2-3... Thanks Captain!

pjones

New elf
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm running a Pi2 with FPP and plan on using a Falcon16V2 controller to power pixels in my house, but I still have a whole yard with AC lights that won't be switched out yet. Will I be able to run the LOR DMX output at the same time as the XLights output to the F16V2? I'm not sure if I can mix the two worlds together or if it could still easily be synchronized in XLights. This is my first year planing, hopefully to be set up for 2016.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
AussiePhil said:
CaptainMurdoch said:
The F16 v2 has DMX out on it so you will be able to use it to drive your DMX equipment
Even better it has three DMX outputs :) completely independent of the pixel outputs

The more I research about the f16v2 more anxious I am to have it . Pretty sure have seen four dmx outputs . Coolest gadget . There is a you tube vid I watched running lor with pixels plus dmx controllers connected just search youtube under f16v2

nato595

Let's do this!
David_AVD said:
If the FPP can output DMX, use that to drive a standard LOR AC controller. All except the really old boards accept DMX. You will have to make a cable adapter though.

Thank you, that sounds like the easiest and option for me. Does anyone know the pinout for a DMX485 LOR dongle to the LOR controller to run in DMX mode?
Also, how do I go about changing the controller from LOR mode to "DMX mode"?
Also, is the LOR DMX485 dongle plug-n-play with the Pi, or do I somehow need to install drivers?
Thanks!!