Adding a second controller questions??

badger4543

Full time elf
Hey guys, so this will be my second year this year, I'm currently running a rpi with fpp and pixlite 16 and nowhere near maxing out the ports..

but this year I'm looking to add a few more props around the yard furthest from the controller about 13m..

My question is would you run an extension with a f amp? or small controller off to the side where these new props are going (say roughly 600 nodes)

If best option is to run a second controller what's the best sorta bang for buck controller that's easily manageable with my rpi and pixlite? Is it recommended to mix and match controller brands?

Also if we're to run an extension would 7core trailer wiring be recommended, could potentially run 2 data, 2 -, 2+, and an extra + for power injection.. would that work over that sort of distance?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Do you have any pixels connected to your Raspberry Pi directly at the moment?

Could be an idea to use the Pixlite as normal, and have the Pi with FPP where more outputs is needed.
Hanson Electronics has a Pi cape that has pixel outputs.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/rpi-28d/
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/rpi-28dplus/

That's the cheapest I can think of using what you have already. I don't like the idea of going down wLED on a WiFi ESPixel stick because it's constant data stream, it's noticeable when it gets an interrupted connection.

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
Hey guys, so this will be my second year this year, I'm currently running a rpi with fpp and pixlite 16 and nowhere near maxing out the ports..

but this year I'm looking to add a few more props around the yard furthest from the controller about 13m..

My question is would you run an extension with a f amp? or small controller off to the side where these new props are going (say roughly 600 nodes)

If best option is to run a second controller what's the best sorta bang for buck controller that's easily manageable with my rpi and pixlite? Is it recommended to mix and match controller brands?

Also if we're to run an extension would 7core trailer wiring be recommended, could potentially run 2 data, 2 -, 2+, and an extra + for power injection.. would that work over that sort of distance?
Technically up to 15m should be fine but like all things YMMV. I have 3 runs of 12m and I use 5V with no issue. Worst case you could throw in an F-AMP (Hanson Electronics have them also) I use 3 core extension lead not sure how that compares in gauge compared to Trailer wire. 600 pixels @30% is approx 11A for all white so that should be OK split over between 2 circuits of trailer wire depending on the raiting.

badger4543

Full time elf
Technically up to 15m should be fine but like all things YMMV. I have 3 runs of 12m and I use 5V with no issue. Worst case you could throw in an F-AMP (Hanson Electronics have them also) I use 3 core extension lead not sure how that compares in gauge compared to Trailer wire. 600 pixels @30% is approx 11A for all white so that should be OK split over between 2 circuits of trailer wire depending on the raiting.
Thanks for your advice, i might just run an extension then as I have the spare ports, and have a f amp on stand by incase I need it..