Alibaba Supplier?

Lishfish

Full time elf
I am just wondering if anyone has a go to Alibaba supplier for RGB light strips. I am aware of lots of people using aliexpress, especially ray wu. But am wanting to use Alibaba for bigger orders. TIA

i13

Dedicated elf
I just email Ray Wu for orders and he manually calculates the postage cost for me. It's usually cheaper than the price listed on Aliexpress. Large orders can be uneconomical because GST is added to the price of orders that add up to AU $1000 or more.

If you're going to try a supplier that no-one else has ordered from, you might want to get a sample first.

richardd

Full time elf
Be careful of the 1000.00 threshold, not only did I have to pay GST on the lights but also on the shipping.

Kitman

Full time elf
Alibaba and Aliexpress are effectively the same. They are both owned and run by the same business man. Aliexpress is for single / small orders where as alibaba is for LARGE quantities.

Generally speaking when ordering from Alibaba your minimum order quantity would be in the thousands, some smaller dealers will let you order a few hundred, some of the larger computer controlled displays may use 100 5 meter rolls of pixel strip but those displays have been building up over time not all in one go.

Also as mentioned we currently have a tax free threshold of $1,000.00 anything with a value of under this you don't pay tax on, anything above this you will pay GST on.

Also some of the Alibaba suppliers will ship your items via sea which is slow and could end up a costly exercise once it arrives in Australia as you have all sorts of other fees that have to be paid once it rocks up (Speaking from experience on this on)

Generally this is why we stick with the suppliers that we know and trust and tend not to branch out from this. Also warranty wise Ray Wu and Ben Brown are both very helpful if something arrives and doesn't work correctly, they will assist in any way they can some of the others won't care or even return your emails (Again personal experience)

I am not saying not to look but just saying be careful as you can be stung by what seems like a good bargain.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I wonder how much more you can save by using someone else other than Ray or Ben, are those savings worth the risk of dealing with someone you and others don't know.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.