Announcing the PixLite 16 MKII Controller!

Devo

Apprentice elf
Community project designer
[SIZE=small]Hi everyone,

We are very excited to announce the arrival of the PixLite 16 MKII pixel controller!!

This controller boasts a whopping 100 Universes of input data allowing for 96 Universes of pixel output data in addition to 4 standard DMX512 Universes. This translates to a staggering total of 16,320 RGB pixels per control board or 12,288 RGBW pixels per control board.

The PixLite 16 MKII will have the exact same feature-set as the existing PixLite 16 control board, except that it drives 3x as many pixels on each output. [/SIZE]
The control board form-factor is also identical to the current PixLite 16 controller.

It also has the ability to run a "condensed" mode, which turns the clock line on each individual output into a data line allowing for 32 physical data outputs if using a data only pixel type. (In this mode each data output will do half the number of pixels compared to normal mode operation.)
Finally, the best thing about this new controller is the special pre-sale price. We are breaking all records in terms of dollar-per-pixel value by offering this control board for just US$149.95! This is an exclusive pre-sale price. We expect the first production boards to start shipping out in mid-late June.

You can purchase the controller at this amazing pre-sale price on our store here:

http://www.advateklights.com/shop/mantis-pixel-mapping/50-pixlite-16-mkii-control-board.html

Don't forget that our FREE PixLite control board shipping option for all Australian and USA customers also applies to this new board as well :)

We hope this new product continues our tradition of supplying great quality products at great prices to the DIY Christmas Lighting community.

We also have a PixLite 16 Long Range MKII controller in the works, which we expect will also be available in the months ahead. This will help to make more practical use of the sheer number of pixels that can be driven.

Happy Lighting from all the team at Advatek!

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Been patiently waiting for more than 340 pixels per output on the Pixlite16. 1020 should do the trick! Ordered two in the presale as soon as I saw this post. Hard to beat that price! Less than a penny per pixel

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Awesome work Luke and Luke. Hope that you plan on showing it off at the Melb mini.

AAH

I just did some quick maths. 16,320 pixels equates to something like 900 Amps. WOW

Devo said:
[SIZE=small]This controller boasts a whopping 100 Universes of input data allowing for 96 Universes of pixel output data in addition to 4 standard DMX512 Universes. This translates to a staggering total of 16,320 RGB pixels per control board or 12,288 RGBW pixels per control board.
[/SIZE]

code

New elf
How long will your pre sale last? Also what are the fuses rated at on this board per output?

Devo

Apprentice elf
Not planing to release it in PnP format as already the current PnP system is limited by power, not the actual number of pixels.

Hahaha yes 1kW PSU should do it Alan :p

Presale will be on until late May.

AAH

1 kW won't even come close. 1kA is required meaning 5kW for 5kW pixels or 12kW for 12V. This is actually approaching the incoming supply level for most domestic residences in Aus :eek:

Devo said:
Not planing to release it in PnP format as already the current PnP system is limited by power, not the actual number of pixels.

Hahaha yes 1kW PSU should do it Alan :p

Presale will be on until late May.

ltay13

Full time elf
code said:
Also what are the fuses rated at on this board per output?

The fuses are rated to 4A (same as current PixLite 16).

Similar to the reason behind not doing a P&P version of the MkII, power is always a limiting factor beyond the data capacity. Even with the existing PixLite 16, 4A is not enough to drive a full 340 pixels per output. Power injection is always required to drive large numbers of pixels.

battle79

Full time elf
Luke & Luke,

That's an incredible amount of pixels!

For me it's more about having each element on it's own output so one outage doesn't affect more than it should.

Hoping that when the long range version comes out it will be able to use condensed mode on all 16 outputs and give me 4 outputs in 16 locations. With that I could do almost whole display from one controller. That would give 1.5 universes per output roughly. Would be amazing.

Anyway, I'll wait patiently for more announcements,
Rowan

ltay13

Full time elf
battle79 said:
Hoping that when the long range version comes out it will be able to use condensed mode on all 16 outputs and give me 4 outputs in 16 locations.

Close! Seeing as each Long Range receiver can do 2 standard or 4 condensed channels, it will be able to do 4 outputs in 8 locations. That totals to 32 individual outputs which is how many individual outputs the controller can drive in condensed mode.

Each of the 32 outputs would have a limit of 510 pixels.

battle79

Full time elf
Was reading your response and thinking 510 channels is no more than current. :(
Then I realised you said 510 pixels, not 510 channels. :eek: 8)
Yep, that ought to cover most requirements.

Looking forward to it,
Rowan

jaredo

if (blink==true){ doFlash(); }
That's a crazy amount of pixels / output, I could almost run my MegaTree from one output lol.

This will definitely help with filling out the trees in the garden. With 320 pixels I found I was running short with trees only sporting 42 pixels each ( have something like 30 trees/shrubs in a 10m x 6m area ), I'll be able to double that and then some :D.

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
Wow, you are now currently in First place!! Will the current prices of the Pixlite 16's come down?

Also, I should mention that if good design is used, NO current for the pixels should ever go through the board. I use several Pixlite 16's and NO current for my 5V WS2812b's runs through the board. I only attach the ground and the data line to the board. The 5V power for the pixels NEVER runs through the board. I does not have to and with this newer board it better NOT as it will easily burn up the board. The +5V to run each output simply runs through a EXTERNAL fuse from the power supply and does NOT connect to the board. Out of the 340 possible pixels on each of the Pixlite 16's output, I run 336 pixels on each output and No current for any of these pixels flows through the Pixlite. This HAS to be the new standard. --Greg--