another noob here

badger4543

Full time elf
hey guys this will hopefully be my first year with pixels and i've got my hands on a new second hand pixlite 16 mkII, and im just trying to connect my controller to a mac book. now ive got the controller powered up, in network settings it say ethernet connected but in advatek assistant is doesnt find it.. is this something to do with my ip on the mac? and can anyone help me get around this? as im not very tech savy cheers

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Likely with your macs IP.
Find out what sub net your controller is on e.g 192.168.000.xxx and have your computer on the same.

Usually these assistant applications to search around and find it.
-------------
From the manual: http://www.advateklights.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/10/PixLite-16-User-Manual-V1.2.pdf
(I'm presuming the mkII has the same setup configuration.)
3.1.2 – IP Addressing Using a Router
Routers have a DHCP server in them– this means they will tell a device plugged into them what IP address to use, if asked.
DHCP is always enabled by default on a PixLite controller so it can immediately work on any existing network with a router. However it is recommended that you assign a static IP address once communications have been established via the configuration utility.

If the controller is in DHCP mode and is not assigned an IP address by a DHCP server, it will then timeout after 15 seconds and default to a static IP of 192.168.0.50

If DHCP mode is enabled both LEDs will flash together until the controller receives an IP address, at which point the power LED will remain on solid and the status LED will flash slowly indicating it is in run mode and ready for use. If a static IP address is assigned to the board, then the power LED will be solid from power up.

Forcing the PixLite IP Address
In the unlikely event that a controller needs to be forced to its default IP, a simple procedure can be employed on power up. This requires holding down the reset button before powering up the controller. Once the controller powers up release the reset button. The board’s IP address will now be 192.168.0.50

Seems like the setup is designed to have the controller plugged into a router and be assigned an IP. Likely your computer won't be doing that.
I'd let it time out (or force) and default to 192.168.0.50, Then change your computer to something like 192.168.0.2.

I'm not an Advatek user so there might be a better answer to come.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
do you think this would be easier to setup straight from my raspberry pi 3 b+??
From what I can tell. Advatek controllers need to be setup with the software assistant.
You'd need a device with the software assistant. Likely your Pi will not be able to run the software*.

Just do it with your Mac.
If you cannot get the networking sorted manually, plug it into your home network router and it should show in the assistant over your home network. Your router will assign it an IP relevant to your computer running the assistant software.

Once configured it can be disconnected from your router.

*[Technically Linux (what a pi uses) can run some windows software with another program.]

badger4543

Full time elf
From what I can tell. Advatek controllers need to be setup with the software assistant.
You'd need a device with the software assistant. Likely your Pi will not be able to run the software*.

Just do it with your Mac.
If you cannot get the networking sorted manually, plug it into your home network router and it should show in the assistant over your home network. Your router will assign it an IP relevant to your computer running the assistant software.

Once configured it can be disconnected from your router.

*[Technically Linux (what a pi uses) can run some windows software with another program.]
Ok thanks for that idea I'll try that,

badger4543

Full time elf
i still cant connect to it.. whats wrong with my ip adresses

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 5.07.16 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 5.07.16 pm.png
    647.8 KB · Views: 14

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
PixLite do not have a web page. So the only way is through the assistant. As they alway say, use the latest version and download the latest update.
the assistant will usually find it (I am on a PC) then it will ask you to ether change your computer IP or the IP of the board I cann not remember. I have always plugged mine into a switch/router.

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
1586076280429.png
Click on the actual controller and you should get this.
1586076425576.png
I always give them a static IP
1586076510633.png
Setup the ethernet control
1586076613718.png
Setup or discover it with xLights and you should be good to go.
Cheers