1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Anyone have a Home Xmas display with Light Factory

Discussion in 'LightFactory Personal' started by Gso125, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Gso125

Gso125 Apprentice Elf

I'm brand new when it comes to pixels. I have been using LSP for a few weeks now learning a lot from this forum/chat. I was looking at madrix and Light factory personal but the time is closing in to buy LF this week pretty much so Id like to see a few videos of it being used by anyone. I did watch the YouTube vid of it in that large display in CT, USA but hope to see some smaller displays. I was thinking of getting it if its a good tool to have for now and future displays. I know its a pro lighting software and seems to be powerful. I had a pain downloading the demo version my virus software bitdefender would not let me so I used another computer without bitdefender that had no problem must be the virus program I got conflics. I'm testing it and madrix both are going to take a bit to learn but if they make the display better, easier to run, or any other pluses Id love to hear about them.
    So to the people using it will it be a tool to use with lor/lsp or a standalone any feedback would be great. Thanks

2. neilric99

neilric99 Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    I am using LFP for controlling my display, I also use Madrix.

Light Factory is different from the other lighting sequencers such as Vixen, HLS, LSP and LOR in that it does not use the grid to setup your sequence. Instead it is designed more for the person who has some stage/concert lighting/DJ experience as it uses cuelists to control what it does. IMHO I find it much easier to setup cuelists than a grid.

LFP is a cut down version of the regular version of Light Factory and the limitation is that it comes with a limited set of fixtures such a conventional dimmers, and discrete rgb led control. on the other hand for the price it offers us the ability to run up to 150 Universe of RGB nodes/pixels.

Madrix is more akin to a media server but for LED video type walls that you would see in nightclubs. LFP can be used to drive Madrix over E1.31 or DMX/Artnet or Midi. Controlling Madrix requires a fixture which can be enabled but costs an additional $50 per fixture type.

You may find that the Matrix effects engine in LFP is more than adequate for driving your megatree and matrix panels and Madrix is not needed.

LFP really gets useful when you have multiple cuelists which could be media effects like video on different servers, audio tracks and their sound to light effects and this all can be controlled by master cuelists / midi / dmx / http/ ipad and SMTPE timecode.

3. candlelight

candlelight New Elf

I've only been using lfp for about 2 weeks now, but i'd say one advantage it has is being able to easily organize channels into whatever group you want. I've setup groups with 1,000 channels just by typing in what range I want. In this manner its super easy to control large numbers of channels.
    Another plus, one effect can control multiple matrices at once, making easier to sync up timing. It is much different than the grid based ones though, but I agree with neil, I find the cues much easier to work with, took some getting used to, but so far I like it better.
    downside, this program is not meant to be used as a visualizer, and I've noticed on screen anyways it has a hard time keeping up with chases that are really close together. I'm hoping the actual output doesn't look this choppy, and will let you know tomorrow as i'm hooking them up as we speak to do some testing before I spend the $500...

4. OP
    OP
    Gso125

Gso125 Apprentice Elf

Neil do you find LF better than Madrix . I have seen some home displays with madrix they look great. I haven't found any not one with LF other than the big one in Ct.
    I might just buy madrix later on but was wondering if LF was the same or better I'd get it and start learning the system.

Candle would like the hear/ or even see what you find out.

5. neilric99

neilric99 Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    LFP and MADRIX are very different products for different purposes.

I use LFP to drive Madrix as Madrix does not have a sequencer but it is the best effects engine which allows for multiple payer effects.

The matrix effects in LFP will give you some interesting results but they are geared more towards smaller arrays of fixtures and doing chases. Madrix is better for use on rgb led walls and other elements such as your megatree.

So I think both have their place and can compliment each other.

6. candlelight

candlelight New Elf

Hey neil, i'm having a hard time getting LFP to talk to my pixels. Is there any settings I need to change in LFP to enable output?
    I went into system properties and turned on all universes and left them at the default settings
    trying to connect them to a p12 from j1sys...
    was wondering if you've had any success with that?

7. neilric99

neilric99 Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    the videos in this forum are a great start to understanding how to setup LFP

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/board,62.0.html

start with defining your streaming ACN outputs and inputs and which network interface you wish the traffic to go down (useful if you have 2 NICS, or a wireless and Ethernet connection to your show network)

Then you have to setup your channel mapping (Dimmer patching to your fixtures) and add the channels to your matrix

8. OP
    OP
    Gso125

Gso125 Apprentice Elf

Hi Neil I have watched Aussiephils videos and I have been following along with settings. I don't have any pixels or controllers yet to test. Are you guys using Polar Capture for the visualization or just Light Factory. How are you guys setting up a show with music I haven't figured out how that works yet. I see how to schedule i just starting with it and im watching set up vids. I'm on fence with buying it I just wish there was some display videos out there. Also is there a way to do Text in a matrix with LF or is it one pixel at a time and make frames.

9. candlelight

candlelight New Elf

thanks neil, had it all setup right.. but I was testing on universe 33... when I switched to testing on universe 1 it worked fine. Maybe a demo mode restriction that only the first universe is output
    absolutely love how dmx is output all the time, without delay or optimization! makes it super easy to test. another thing I like, if the effect doesn't seem to match the speed of the music, a quick edit to the effect time length and voila!
    to setup music, create a media effect.. pick the song and save the effect. then in your cue list, add that effect to every cue (not just the first) if LFP sees the effect in the previous cue, it continues that effect.
    so lets say your arches are jumping around but u want your mega tree to change color at 3 specific points. you would add 3 cues to make the tree change colors. you could then add your arch effect to all three cues. since LFP sees that effect was running in the previous cue, it continues that effect until it reaches a cue where that effect is longer there
    as far as the text goes, haven't played with that much and would depend on the resolution of your matrix. If you have a high resolution (lots of pixels spaced close together) you could add an image of the text to your matrix and make it move around that way. Otherwise, I think you'd have to do the pixel at a time deal. I find the matrix tools in LFP very powerful though. you can access them from almost any point in the software. create effects tied to them, or there also right there in each cue you create...
    depends on your setup, I have a lot of pixels (6,000) so with 18,000 channels LFP seems like a good choice for me.

10. neilric99

neilric99 Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    I am not using any visualization software and just rely on the layout view to get an idea of the output.

I did hear from Martin that there may be problems using capture etc as we are outputting many more channels that it is used to visualizing and needs a powerful computer to work with 10's of DMX Universe.

11. tuppetsdad

tuppetsdad Funding & Tech Support

Also to keep in mind is the new Madrix 3 which makes items like trees and multiples of much the same shape very easy.

12. OP
    OP
    Gso125

Gso125 Apprentice Elf

I like the looks of madrix but its $1200 plus for 16 universe license. Or can a lesser license work if you use madrix with LSP will it let you do more universes because its outputting via LSP. I have been playing with LF its nice but its going to take a while to learn. I can see the positive side in LF one is just for future expansion in universes.

13. candlelight

candlelight New Elf

yeah, that's why I went with light factory, this year i'm using 33 universes.. a madrix license would be out of my budget, and so far lfp seems to be keeping up pretty well.
    also, you can easily make copies of features in lfp by copying an effect and selecting to offset your fixture count

14. OP
    OP
    Gso125

Gso125 Apprentice Elf

Reading the manual and watching some set vids I'm starting to get around in LF a little better. I was wondering if LF is used with LSP or LOR by some trigger when they are playing a show. The other thing I noticed was that the standard effects I use like twinkle and shimmer were not apparent on how to use them if at all. I'm still testing it out but if anyone can tell me about them it would be great. Thanks

15. OP
    OP
    Gso125

Gso125 Apprentice Elf

Well I watched aussiephils mini online and he makes LF look easy and I can see pluses and minuses for it so bought it and hope to use it and LSP this year. I need to get some lights/PSU's and controllers badly now. Waiting on the j1sys 12s to become available and put an order with ray for pixels. Don't know which ones are better or worse but they have to be waterproof the best they can be because last year we had so much snow it was over my arches and mini trees. Ill probably raise stuff this year on platforms because I cant wait to turn on my sprinkler system I know I must of hit something with rebar. I'm thinking of getting these pixels for everything I do this year house outline and windows, Garage and doors, and a Mega tree 1500 plus pixels, and leaping arches