Anyone in Perth willing to share their knowledge?

sveevers

New elf
Hi, I'm new to this forum and the idea of computer controlled lights but I have decided that I want to get something up an running for
Christmas 2016.

As I'm new to this I was wondering if there was anybody in Perth who is using computer control this Christmas who wouldn't mind me coming to have a look and a chat about the setup?

Basically I want to see what gear I need to acquire over the year to get a basic setup running next year.

Thanks,
Steve

dale82

Senior elf
Firstly Welcome to acl, secondly you should download the 101 manual and have a look at all the options etc. this forum is certainly the right place to start.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Steve, Welcome to ACL!
I'd suggest getting familiar with the 101: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html
It may take a couple of read through to make sense of it. Otherwise, hang around the site and see what other members have done this year to get some inspiration and then inquire as to how they did it and what they used, that should set you in the right direction.
plenty of experienced & friendly members here, feel free to ask as many questions as you need, they're all welcome!
Cheers, Graham

sveevers

New elf
Thanks guys. I have had a read of the 101 document and I guess I've made as much sense of it as possible without actually having a 'play' with anything.

One of the things that I am most interested in is how people run all the cabling on large scale projects. ie. Where are the controllers located with respects to the light features? Do most setups run just one controller or multiple controllers in the yard?

I'm in Byford which is about 10km south of Armadale.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I know it well.
I am in Collie, so if you head south for the holidays you are more than welcome, otherwise there are others in perth, you should look at the display locations tab at the top right and find some members on there.

sveevers

New elf
Actually we are heading south after Christmas so I might get a chance to stop and have a look at your display. How do I find your address, do you post addresses on this forum?

i13

Dedicated elf
Have a look at the display locations map in the links at the top of every ACL page. It shows up when you're logged in.

From memory there haven't been minis in Perth in the last few years and that's all I know. If you have a suitable venue for a weekend then you could offer to host one - big job though. It's also common to travel to other places that do have them. Sydney and Adelaide for example seem to consistently have one each year.

In the meantime you have a whole year to learn, order, prepare and set up. It is never too early to start especially for your first year of computer control and there are no silly questions.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome49.png

cdbrown

New elf
I'm in Guildford and have done my first pixel display this year.
Currently using xlights to run the show, pixlite4 and a variety of strip, string and modules. Very simple display compared to others. Spent lots of time trying to work out what elements I wanted, placement, sizes. Even longer was spent making up cables.
Still need to add my dumb white led icicles to the display (gutter line) and in xlights and make some more sequences.

cdbrown

New elf
I'm only using 1 pixlite4. Got it from advantek (just used the links on this forum). I'm only running 1200 channels
8 - 2m vertical strips as poles
4 - corro candy canes with 10 modules in each
4 - spiral trees with 50 pixels strings
Also to add is the icicles which are chopped big w lights which will be controller by a mega60.

sveevers

New elf
This is where I'm getting lost. The pixlite 4 is a 4 channel controller yet you have 16 'features' running off it. Are you running each group of features as one channel each? ie. One channel for the poles, one for the canes and one for the trees? That would mean you still have one channel left on the pixlite 4, is that correct? Also are you needing to do any power injection with that setup?

Is this the correct place to be asking these questions or should I move this discussion somewhere else?

cdbrown

New elf
you could pop into the chat if you want.
4 outputs, outputs 1 and 2 each control 4 vertical strips, outputs 3 and 4 control 2 trees and 2 canes each.
I probably could actually control it all just using 1 output as it can do 680 nodes per output. But decided to just use all 4 as that provided power at the beginning. I also injected in the middle and end of each run.