Arches - LDPE Tubing (Air Seeder)

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Just out of curiosity I notice they have this tube in 25mm OD, is there a reason you went for 32mm?
I'm keen to redo all my arches in this stuff, as theyre only up the road from me :D

DavidJ247

Full time elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
Just out of curiosity I notice they have this tube in 25mm OD, is there a reason you went for 32mm?
I'm keen to redo all my arches in this stuff, as theyre only up the road from me :D
Hi Ruprect, personally I was initially looking for 2"/50mm tube, (like many, I'm sure) I was inspired by Matt Johnson's video's of his HDPE arches but quickly realised that stuff is near impossible to find here so I set myself a mission to find something locally and found Esdan. Largest size they had was this 32mm ID/38mm OD so that's what I went with and really pleased with the result.
From memory, the smaller size was 25mm ID/31mm OD so not alot different, but it was substantially cheaper, I think around $80 for 30M vs $130 for the larger size. Assuming the translucency is the same (and I suspect it would be) the 25/31mm would be a good option IMO. Since then I've seen some thinner arches, for example at the Melb mini Gerry had an arch of thin PEX (I think 1" or perhaps even thinner) that looked really great.
I still say the best use of arches I have seen were your arches 'dancing' the Christmas can-can, so good!

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Cheers David
So is this stuff fairly rigid? ie it doesn't need any other support? My arches are strip on conduit at the moment and then covered with corro for diffusion/protection.

DavidJ247

Full time elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
Cheers David
So is this stuff fairly rigid? ie it doesn't need any other support? My arches are strip on conduit at the moment and then covered with corro for diffusion/protection.
Yes, I was surprised just how rigid it is, I was expecting it to be softer, I was thinking like rubber hose but it is much more like conduit. No support necessary, holds its shape well, quite solid. I guess the real test will be when the arches are out out in the yard in December in the summer sun?? I don't expect there will be any UV issues, this stuff is made for use on farm machinery/headers and such so it would have to be UV stable, but how much it will soften in the hot sun I don't know.

livetoride

Full time elf
What length pigtails have you got there David? Interesting to see how it holds its shape with some 40c days on the tubes over summer

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Live2ride-Daniel said:
What length pigtails have you got there David? Interesting to see how it holds its shape with some 40c days on the tubes over summer
Pigtails are around 75cm, I use a 1.5m extension cable from Ray Wu cut in half. The little extra length gives much more flexibility if I want to space them out. I learnt that when I put together the Kmart metal stars, I used 20cm pigtails and although the stars sit close to each other they still need extension cables in between each one.
Wait and see with the tube in the sun, may not be a problem at all, just trying to think ahead. The arches are pretty light weight so worst case I could just bring them inside or put them in the shade during the day.

Kitman

Full time elf
Hey Heath,

Is the pipe similar to the stuff that you had at the Adelaide Mini? or is it a little different?

Boof63

Senior elf
Anyone played with the 25mm v 32mm , looking at this thru work,
markup is huge, Edsan price quite good off of ebay.
Almost double for 25mm to 32mm, so if 25mm would work?.........
Thanks to all for this thread
Cheers Boof63 :D

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Heath, how was the diffusion with 25mm?
I'm curious whether 25mm allows enough space between the led's and the wall for proper diffusion or whether you still get the individual LED's showing through?
I'm looking at using 25mm here as well if it suits.