Audio problem

welby

New elf
Chasing a problem with my Beaglebone audio that i'm outputting through a USB soundblaster device. If i go and set the audio device from dummy to the soundblaster i need to do a reboot of FPP which is normal but when it boots back up the audio device reverts to dummy and the soundblaster is no longer able to be chosen. Only way to get it to show up again is unplug from USB but then the reboot never works. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
This problem has been known with USB devices.
Issue may be that FPP starts before the USB device is recognised.

You can try adding a boot delay.
Status > settings > system > boot delay.

welby

New elf
Yeah not a bad idea but i've just found that if i plug headphones into the sounblaster it is selectable and plays fine but seems to be if my FM transmitter is plugged in it's causing problems. I've also just tried the FM transmitter with audio output from my computer and it's working perfect. Bit stumped now, the FM transmitter is a Etekess TR508 generic thing.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
How close is the transmitter to your Beagle and SB3?
There are issues with them being too close (transmitter causes interference on the USB)
Try running al longer (say 5M) audio cable from the SB3 to the transmitter, and place them as far apart as possible

welby

New elf
How close is the transmitter to your Beagle and SB3?
There are issues with them being too close (transmitter causes interference on the USB)
Try running al longer (say 5M) audio cable from the SB3 to the transmitter, and place them as far apart as possible
Will try that, it's only a couple of metres at the moment.

shawnd

New elf
Any luck figuring this out? I am having the same problem and cannot figure it out!

welby

New elf
I think i might have @shawnd i set the transmitter to low power and adjusted the channel range. It now seems to be working ok. Must have been some sort of interference like the guys mentioned above.

shawnd

New elf
@welby I have tried moving my transmitter further away from my controller too, but no luck. With the transmitter being one of the Chinese cheap eBay units I'm not sure I am able to make any adjustments to power since it didn't come with instructions.

welby

New elf
@welby I have tried moving my transmitter further away from my controller too, but no luck. With the transmitter being one of the Chinese cheap eBay units I'm not sure I am able to make any adjustments to power since it didn't come with instructions.
What model is it?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Like a tiny 1" x 2" usb powered transmitter?

shawnd

New elf
Yes, it is one of the tiny 1x2 USB transmitters. I have ordered a USB sound card which will be here in a few days. I am hoping that fixes the connectivity issue.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I've found those small cheap transmitters to not be reliable. Some had soldered a long wire to attack as a transmission antennae. Make sure to use a decent quality cord between devices, I've also had issues with cheap cords not working so well. lastly, I run a splitter from the SB3 that allows me to plug into my transmitter and a portable radio for a speaker.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
My brother had this issue. He found that the SB disappeared the moment he plugged into the FM transmitter.
There were two suggestions made - he took both and it fixed it:
1. Put the SB on a powered USB hub
2. Put an audio isolator in between the SB and the transmitter
Working fine for him now.

So try the experiment: Plug the SB into the BBB, but don't plug in the transmitter. Maybe listen with headphones.
Then, plug in the transmitter and see if it all goes wrong.
If so, try the two suggestions in whatever order you can get parts - they're each about ten bucks on Amazon.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
My brother had this issue. He found that the SB disappeared the moment he plugged into the FM transmitter.
There were two suggestions made - he took both and it fixed it:
1. Put the SB on a powered USB hub
2. Put an audio isolator in between the SB and the transmitter
Working fine for him now.

So try the experiment: Plug the SB into the BBB, but don't plug in the transmitter. Maybe listen with headphones.
Then, plug in the transmitter and see if it all goes wrong.
If so, try the two suggestions in whatever order you can get parts - they're each about ten bucks on Amazon.
So, this brings up a good question about those small transmitters.

How are the small transmitters being powered?
Is it enough power for them to work properly?