Australian supplier for in stock pixel controller

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
There is also Advatek Lights who are based in Melbourne. Prices are higher than they used to be (due to ongoing component shortages - there's a note on their website about it)

Raywin

New elf
There is also Advatek Lights who are based in Melbourne. Prices are higher than they used to be (due to ongoing component shortages - there's a note on their website about it)
Thanks Ryan. Have you used the Pixlight ? I'm looking at maybe the mk4 to start with. To understand the programing and systems. Thoughts?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Thanks Ryan. Have you used the Pixlight ? I'm looking at maybe the mk4 to start with. To understand the programing and systems. Thoughts?
Pixlite is a very easy controller to use, assuming you know either how to manually set up your channels and universes or know how to set it up through Xlights.

Another choice could be the HE123Mk2 from Hanson Electronics, great controller that I added to my show for 2021. http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/he123mk2/

Reactions: AAH

Raywin

New elf
for controllers? probably hansons the only one at the moment. pixelcontroller wont have any more falcons until another production run happens
Hi Kate. Any suggestions on a small Controller? Looking at running the E1.31 protocol. Something small to start with and expand fro. There

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Kate. Any suggestions on a small Controller? Looking at running the E1.31 protocol. Something small to start with and expand fro. There
For small then a Rasberry Pi and rPi-28D+ will allow you to get started and get into all sorts of mischief. 2 WS2811 outputs which can each control 800 pixels at 40fps or 1600 pixels at 20fps. There's also a WS2801 output and a DMX output on there that can be played with. The Pi can run your whole show either being just it and a rPi-28D+ or down the track when you suffer even worse from the pixel addiction that you will develop. :D

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Have you used the Pixlight ?

Yes, PixLite 4 was the first E1.31 controller I used (since 2016). I have a mixture of older style dumb DC LED strings mixed with pixels. This last season all my pixels ran off three different Advatek boards - 2x PixLite 4 MK1 and 1x PixLite 16 MK1. MK1 was the original range (now EOL) with lower maximum pixels supported.

Unlike certain other brands of hardware that can be configured by visiting the controller's IP address in your web browser (e.g. Falcon from Pixel Controller LLC), PixLite configuration must be done using the Advatek Assistant application for Windows/macOS. For some this might (or might not) become annoying particularly if mixing and matching Advatek with other brands.

Raywin

New elf
Yes, PixLite 4 was the first E1.31 controller I used (since 2016). I have a mixture of older style dumb DC LED strings mixed with pixels. This last season all my pixels ran off three different Advatek boards - 2x PixLite 4 MK1 and 1x PixLite 16 MK1. MK1 was the original range (now EOL) with lower maximum pixels supported.

Unlike certain other brands of hardware that can be configured by visiting the controller's IP address in your web browser (e.g. Falcon from Pixel Controller LLC), PixLite configuration must be done using the Advatek Assistant application for Windows/macOS. For some this might (or might not) become annoying particularly if mixing and matching Advatek with other brands.
Thanks for the info, Sounds like a good solution. How did you drive the dumb LED's. I have heaps of the old dumb led strings, some solar. The solar strings are only 3.6 volts and I'm currently running them off an old car battery with a Buck voltage reducers. Can I use them via a relay or drive them directly from a controller?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Thanks for the info, Sounds like a good solution. How did you drive the dumb LED's. I have heaps of the old dumb led strings, some solar. The solar strings are only 3.6 volts and I'm currently running them off an old car battery with a Buck voltage reducers. Can I use them via a relay or drive them directly from a controller?
In order to run dumb led strings, solar etc you'll need to find out weather they're regular DC, or AC that runs them. Easy way to find this out is if only half the lights go when you power them on and if you swap the wires around, the other half light up, if this is the case, they are AC, if they all light up one way and not the other way, they are DC. For running DC lights from a pixel controller you'll want one of these http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc15/ OR these http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc30/

For running low voltage AC light strings like mentioned above; http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc2-30/ - This controller is not suggested for anything below 12/24V, and will not work with solar powered lights

i13

Dedicated elf
DMX controllers are another option for traditional LED strings if your pixel controller has a DMX output. Hanson Electronics is the only Australian supplier of DMX controllers that I can think of. The models beginning with "DMX2" control the reverse-polarity strings that Notenoughlights referred to as AC strings. These typically have a blinker unit AND only two wires between the blinker unit and first LED. They are frequently referred to as "2 wire" strings. When reading my posts, keep in mind that I don't refer to them as AC strings but I might still be referring to them. The difference between the 2811 and DMX DC controllers is the signal that they use; connecting the lights and power supply is the same.

It can be a bit of a task to get traditional LED strings working perfectly but IMO it is worth it. I wrote more about it in this thread: https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/14138/

Snicko

Apprentice elf
Ive just ordered a HE123 after having a look at Tristans setup local to me, Seems to be a good option and is in stock!
Plus aussie made

Pixel Controller replied saying they were hoping to have falcons by the end of q1