1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Behind the Scenes of Johnson Light Show... (Great Christmas Light Fight house)

Discussion in 'How is my display put together...' started by idleup, Dec 9, 2014.

1. idleup

idleup New Elf

Okay, this is the last video that I will be posting (except for the actual 2014 light show when we are allowed) for a while. It is a behind the scenes video explaining stuff that most of you probably already know. It is more for the people who are not already in this hobby but will see my show on TV in a couple weeks and want to know more about this hobby.

http://youtu.be/g_hXlKCt11s

Towards the end, I go through all the technical details including the hardware, controllers, software, and networking. I have created the following index of video timestamps for specific topics within the video if you want to skip directly to what you are interested in rather than watch the whole video.

00:00 - Introduction to Behind the Scenes Tour

01:16 - Explanation on rails system used on hedges, brick, and roofline fascia board.

01:52 - Leaping light arches (If you are interested in how to build them, watch my how to video here: http://youtu.be/4pjHDMx92TI?list=PLO...MVdVZSh_ALLiDf)

02:21 - Pixel Trees: (If you are interested in how to build them, watch my how to video here: http://youtu.be/Pv11upuiqxI?list=PLO...MVdVZSh_ALLiDf)

02:53 - Pixel Matrix, Shutters, Brows, and Outlines (If you are interested in how to build a pixel matrix, watch my how to video here: http://youtu.be/cL9Dy0RlEEw?list=PLO...MVdVZSh_ALLiDf)

03:42 - Roofline rail system

04:28 - Outlines and vertical rails mounted on Brick

04:50 - FM Transmitter, Audio Mixer, Non-LED Light Controller (EDM Design w/RDS)

06:10 - Overview of Smart RGB Pixel lights and the different types used in my show (all are 12v WS2811 based pixels)

07:13 - Overview of Controllers (San Devices e682 pixel controllers)

09:02 - Tour of controller installation, Power supplies, and connections to pixels

09:56 - Overview of Show Player (Raspberry Pi running Falcon Pi Player FPP)

10:40 - Summary of Electronics, Software (Vixen 3), Storage, etc. and how it all interconnects

11:57 - Conclusion

2. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Very nice work and a great looking display, thanks for sharing the video and how to's, very well put together.

3. Bird

Bird Proud LOR user

Great job on the how to's.
    Been wanting to put my CCR arches in a tube for a couple of years and this now looks very easy to accomplish what I want because of the the tube lengths available.
    Thank you very much.

4. jcmarksafb

jcmarksafb Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona

Thank you for all of the videos. Answers a lot of questions we all get about how to put together a show. Very well done and a great light show to boot!
    John

5. bluzervic

bluzervic 65,768 Channels, 185 Universes

Find Me On:
    Very nicely done, can tell you have a lot of engineering experience.

Would like to see a how to on the house rails for the roof and sides or some PIC's

thanks for Sharing

-Blu

6. Christmas on Clarafield

Christmas on Clarafield Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Great work.
    Thanks for sharing.

7. dale82

dale82 Senior Elf

Excellent Tutorials, Now the Planning for Next year has begun

8. gerry

gerry Senior Elf

Thanks for posting these videos. I have not watched all of them as yet , but will at some stage.

Thanks again for sharing

9. mborg10

mborg10 Michael Borg

So if anyone finds an Australian supplier that sells the high pressure/polyethylene vacuum tubing like shown in the video for the arches. Please let me know

10. drakky

drakky Full Time Elf