blow molds

winnieg

New elf
Hi I am new at this is my 2nd year of a large display not as large as some of you but my small town out side Lethbridge Alberta Canada awarded me 2 prize. So my grandchildren who are behind all this want to go bigger and better, I have the lights to do it thanks to another Christmas house he gave me five huge boxes of lights.
I have a Nativity blow mold set of 7. you don't see these to often. my question is I live were we receive high winds 70km. I tried to slake them down with re-bar and wire them down but that only had the holy family spinning in the wind. Do any of you have a idea of how to display them with out losing them of spinning in the wind.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I built my "choir" on bleachers that I made and used a piece of 1/4" thick polycarbonate plastic that is 1-1/2" wide by 5" long with a 1/2" hole drilled into the center of it. I tried plexiglass but it gets too brittle and will snap in the cold so poly is the way to go.
I had to drill a 2" hole into the bottom of the blowmolds so that I could insert the piece of poly into the mold. I used GE silicone II to hold the piece in place so it would not rattle around inside the blowmold.
To fasten the mold down I placed them onto press treated boards with a 1/4" hole drilled through it. Then I put a 3" long screw with washer up through the hole in the lumber, placed a expanding wing nut on the bolt, then pushed the wind nut through the hole in the poly in the mold till it snapped open. Then use a power screwdriver to spin the bolt and snug the wingnut down to hold the blowmold to the board.

Mine have been through a few seasons now and have never broken loose or moved one bit even with very high winds, snow, rain and whatever!
I am not at home now but will try and remember to get some pics of the mounting later on and post for you.

Attachments

• DSC00596.JPG
    DSC00596.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

bjpc2716

who dares win
welcome to acl regarding blow mould i use a chipboard base cut it the same as the blow mould drill for holes in the connor place tent pegs in the connor you are done