Built From Scratch: My First Mega Tree

108CAM

Proud to have the largest display on my street!
This thread covers the progress of how I built my first ever Mega Tree.
I had never built a Mega Tree before and after reading through some of the Mega Tree threads, I decided that I wanted to build one but the question was how I would do it.

All of my tree, including the base had to be removable.
After thinking about my constraints and the materials I had on hand, I thought I was out of luck but I remembered that I had a road sign post sitting in my scrap metal pile and the large metal spike that goes on the bottom was in the backyard. Almost instantly, I got up from my computer and went outside to get the post and spike so I could begin work.

Day 1

The first step was to hammer the spike into the ground.
This turned out to be much easier than I thought. The ground was still soft enough for my mash hammer to drive it down
IMG_2589.jpg

The second step was the pole, aka the tree trunk.
IMG_2590.jpg
At first it wouldn't fit because all the hammer blows had deformed the post hole in the spike. Eventually, after a bit of filling, the pole fell into place and was now able to stand on it's own. After I had put the pole up, I further stabilised the base by hammering a giant tent peg to anchor the spike.
Later, me and my dad went to Bunnings to get some lights for the tree.

I ended up getting 2 sets of connectable Lytworx fairy lights in Warm White. I chose this colour so that the new lights would match the colour of my older but insanely long Costco string.
All the hammering, lifting and filling from earlier had made me very tired and I decided to call it a day after getting home with the new lights.

Day 2
I gathered my lights, tools and other items required for stringing the lights. I also grabbed the ladder and some tent pegs.
Pretty soon, the front yard became rather messy when I started unpacking the lights and preparing the weatherproof box.
I then started my favourite part, stringing the lights. I used my Costco string first and the tree started to take shape.

IMG_2605 (2).JPG
The Costco string covered the first half.
Now I moved to my new strings which completed the second half of the tree.

IMG_2611.jpg
I then wrapped a string of red lights around the pole and was ready for the final step, adding the star to the top.

IMG_3520.jpg
I made the star by attaching a very short string of solar powered fairy lights to a metal star frame that I salvaged from a badly damaged decoration
After putting the star up and plugging everything in, it was time for the moment you've all been waiting for - The finished tree at night time

IMG_2616.jpg
Very happy with how it turned out, especially since it's the first ever Mega Tree I've built.
It's Merry, Bright and a Christmas Delight! I'm very proud of my work and couldn't be happier.